Formal Attire

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by Agt20991, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Agt20991

Agt20991 New Member

Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure there are no other boards for this, so I figured I would put this here.

I work for an outside sales company where you go to businesses to sell products to other owners, and as of now I cannot afford multiple suits, and buying one suit just to wear it 5 days a week is kinda out of the question.

I can afford 2 sports coats to wear and I am looking for a good color combination.

I am overweight, although not obese, and the color needs to work well with khaki/brown pants (bit darker than true khaki, but not fully brown) and black pants, also needs to work well with light blue/gray shirts.

I am currently thinking black and charcoal, maybe khaki as coat colors?

What are you guys thinking?

Also, a khaki coat would be kinda tacky considering the color would not match perfectly, although it would be VERY close.

So, any ideas?

THANKS preemptively!

2. Dabs

Dabs Registered Member

Black and charcoal sound great as choices, especially with the fall and winter months approaching.
    But for spring and summer, you might want to lighten your colors some, maybe to a gray and light tan or light blue~

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Definitely a navy blue blazer. It's much more flexible. I also wouldn't wear charcoal grey with khaki or brown, I'd wear charcoal with dark grey or black slacks.

4. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

You might also want to look at sports coats of grey, charcoal or slate, with a different color thread running through it that ties the shirt/pants color in. It's a subtle way of coordinating outfits that works very well with multiple color selections. Your tie can help pull it all together, too, if it contains the colors of the clothes you're wearing.

5. Dabs

Dabs Registered Member

I have always thought a man, no matter how macho he may think he is, looks great in a light grey pinstripe suit with a light pink shirt and a tie that has both grey and pink entwined.
    Looks Fab!

6. Agt20991

Agt20991 New Member

I decided for a black Sports Coat, I also got some dark blue shirts, so my outfit will be black pants, dark blue shirt, black tie, black sports coat with my fedora.

I think I will look rather spiffy.

Or my blue tie, can't decide which, the tie is darker blue so it may meld in.

7. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

That sounds really, really nice. Try each tie with the outfit; sometimes for some reason "the other tie" just looks better. And if it doesn't, you'll know you made the right choice originally, instead of thinking from time to time throughout the day, "I wonder if I should have worn the blue tie?"

And a fedora! Classy.