Forgetting your baby is in the car?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Because of the dad that left his baby in a hot car which caused it to die claiming he forgot the baby was with him I've been asking myself how do you forget your baby is with you.

I don't think I would forget I had my baby with me. I don't see how its possible even except in a rare case but somehow it seems to happen every summer. I'm not talking about the people that intentionally did it because they didn't think they were going to be gone long, which is just as bad but people that claim they just forgot.

I'm not buying this excuse, I don't think its possible to forget your baby that easy, for sure not all day. I think maybe some of them at least thought it would be a good way to get rid of the baby. Which I'm wondering if that is what this dad did.

What do you think? Would you forget about your baby?

Georgia father who killed his 22-month-old son researched child death in hot car on Internet

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Forgetting a kid in the car is kind of ridiculous. I'm not saying it doesn't happen every once in a while in a legitimate case but come on, what parent isn't focused on their kid a lot of the time while they're driving or doing anything else?

I've driven with parents with kids in the back seat before, they're constantly reaching back, talking to their kids, etc.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see how someone could forget they have their baby with them. Except only on a rare occasion, maybe, if your life is in such turmoil that you are having a hard time focusing on anything.

To me this guy doesn't fit this scenario. He and his wife even did a search on how long it takes a child to die in a hot car. If you are that concerned about it then how do you forget your baby is with you. I don't think you would.

Litharnum

Registered Member
Ignoring the original topic for a moment, Having a child is hard work even with outside family support, many of these cases tend to be single parents or parents who could be mistaken for single as the other half of the relationship does nothing to bring the child up.

When exhaustion sets in, so can forgetfulness. As a first time parent, i was lucky enough to have an experienced partner with me and super tired due to how much a new family member could bring at the start, I could of forgotten them and through sheer luck sometimes I've managed to remember them. It's hard to imagine what your body can go through when it's under great pressure like a new baby.

Back on topic: Having said all that and reading both articles, it seems clear to me anyway, he was using that as an excuse to get a "better" life without having a child and should be treated no better than a child murder and not a "victim" of his dumb actions. Why have the child if your not willing to commit to them? Really boils me a human can do that to another human that cannot defend themselves, them being blood related makes it worse.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There is a NYT article where a guy studied all of the instances of who leaves a child in a car.http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/...-parent-forget-th/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
What kind of person forgets a baby?
The wealthy do, it turns out. And the poor, and the middle class. Parents of all ages and ethnicities do it. Mothers are just as likely to do it as fathers. It happens to the chronically absent-minded and to the fanatically organized, to the college-educated and to the marginally literate. In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist.
I've never done it. But have left kids at the store. Being tired and stressed can mess with your mind so much that you just forget things you never thought you'd forget.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This seems to have become a problem since the law requiring you to put the car seat in the back seat. I'm wondering if these car seats should come with two key chains and when they are removed from the ignition they ask you if you have your baby with you. Something to jog your memory.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
When my kids were babies, we put them up front and turned off the drivers airbag. As busy as I am today, I would need some sort of reminder. I get so focused on whatever that I tend to forget basic stuff.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think it's easy to visualize these people as monsters but it's a tragic truth of the human psyche, we forget things. Whatever causes it, sometimes our brains cross their wires and we go blank on things. Now, I'm not saying these people should not face negligence charges and whatever else may come, but I think a bit of understanding can go a long way.

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It is very sad that every year that you hear about a child dying in a a hot car. I am not a parent yet but i do occasionally watch my nephew and have not once left him behind in the car. They said to leave something important in the backseat so that you don't forget there is a child in the backseat. Newsflash, a child is important! I read yesterday that that father was found guilty