Foreign Language Classes

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Recently it was announced that a Foreign Language class is required in order to graduate high school.

Personally I disagree with this philosophy entirely, i hate foreign language classes, I'm in spanish 3 this year and I don't see the class getting any better, I do not have a reason to learn Spanish so why be forced to take it?

It just lowers my GPA because I cannot concentrate in spanish class, I've tried and tried but just can't do it, thus I do not learn very much, and studying on my own is even worse.

What am I to do?:-/

What are your thoughts on foreign language being required in high school?

Iris

rainbow 11!
I think you should at least have a year required. It's very useful to learn a language.

I love languages... I'm in AP Latin (My fourth year) and I am now taking American Sign Language I, which I think I will enjoy immensely.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I dunno I've been on both ends of this. It was a requirement to learn German while I was schooled in Germany from Kindergarten on up you had to have German class so I was fluent in it when I left. Came back to the states and no German offered in high school so I learned French. By then I enjoyed learning about another language but younger I didn't give a rats ass and hated it.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Wow, you know German?

That's amazing! One day we need to sit down and talk, with every post you reveal a little fact about you, and the more interest you are. You were in the military, lived in Germany...

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wish it would have been required when I was in grade school. I only had to take a semester in high school but that was it. Needless to say, one semester isn't long enough to learn any language. :lol:

I've forgotten just about everything by now.

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
I think you should at least have a year required. It's very useful to learn a language.

I love languages... I'm in AP Latin (My fourth year) and I am now taking American Sign Language I, which I think I will enjoy immensely.
-grumblegrumblegrumbleJEALOUSgrumble-

I think it's useful to know another language too. It awakens a whole new level of your brain and gives you a rest from the math/ science stuff they drill into you normally. Not to mention, all the colleges I have seen require at least two years of a language. the UC system requires three.

RANDOM NOTE: My school took a survey at the end of last year. ASL might be offered next year. Not this coming year while I am still there - but the year after. I am TICKED!!
------
I wish it would have been required when I was in grade school. I only had to take a semester in high school but that was it. Needless to say, one semester isn't long enough to learn any language. :lol:

I've forgotten just about everything by now.
Didn't you say you took japanese at one point?

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
The problem is that I was forced into Spanish because it was the only option at my elementary school and middle school, then I get to high school and they have spanish or French so yeah... it was really annoying, I think that Latin would have been pretty cool or maybe Portugese but Spanish just kills me.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I took French throughout middle school and two years in high school. I went to France for a week and didn't even need to use anything I had learned. I have since forgotten most of what I learned. I definitely don't think foreign language should be required.