Foreign exchange students

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pro2A, May 29, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

My wife is a teacher and we were talking about hosting a foreign exchange student next school year or the year after. I've always been interested in doing this. After living in Singapore (when my dad was in the USAF) and going to an international school there, I got to meet a lot of cool people from different nations. I like learning about different cultures and have always been interested in hosting a foreign exchange student. Has anyone ever done this or know where to begin?

2. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

One of my best friends Mom does this all year round. She has at least two foreign exchange students living at her house all year. From France to Belgium to Mexico to Germany etc etc. She loves to do it and its pretty cool stuff. I'm not sure how or where she goes to do it though. I'll have to ask.

Blueyes likes this.
  3. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

That's cool that you're considering this...I don't know too much about it personally; I know my sister-in-law's brother had done that recently.

Blueyes likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

We actually had a Thai monk live with us!

She was a funny gal and really enjoyed her year or two with us. She is currently living in the US now earning the rest of her education. It really is a worthy experience, you get to really interact with people from completely different places. It was also quite fun to teach her about America.

5. pro2A

I could imagine the culture shock, especailly someone from a un-free or 3rd world nation. All the fast food, cars, LCD TV's, etc... would almost be too much for them.

6. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

at my school, we have a foreign exchange program with Hungary, so we always have at least two or three students from there, as well as a lot of Asian dormers... I think this year we have something like 13 countries represented.

Blueyes likes this.
  7. pro2A

What is their reaction to coming here? Is it their first time in America kind of thing, or do they come and go thru the program a lot?

8. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

My school has this sister school stuff and every year, we send some of our students (the ones who want to go, there ain't many really) to Japan, to be with their hosts and the next year, the Jap students come to our school.