• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fords new obstacle avoidance system

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A car that takes control of the steering wheel when it detects the risk of a collision is being tested at a research facility in Germany.

Ford car takes control of steering to avoid collisions
This car not only brakes when it detects a obstacle in its path it also takes control of the steering wheel. I can think of times this would be great with some of the less talented drivers there are out there or just can't react like they use to.

My concern over these features would be are they reliable and if there is a malfunction they don't cause a wreck. If there was a malfunction I can see someone running over someone waiting for the car to take control.

What do you think about a car taking control away from you?

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
I am actually comfortable driving a car manually. For a car that drives itself, it could possibly malfunction and go off course, especially while someone's asleep.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I trust humans over computers. Computers don't have free will, and they can't make decisions. They just receive input and perform actions depending on what that input is. So, maybe you're travelling down an icy highway, and its snowing pretty heavy, and so it sets off the detector and your car brakes, and the car takes over the steering wheel and boom, you helplessly slide off the road.

I would only feel comfortable with it, if it was a button on the dashboard you could turn on and off. That way you could at least turn it on for when you need to drive and navigate in tight situations.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think a feature like this has great potential when used properly. Unfortunately, I think that it will be used to give people more confidence on the road than they should have. For example, 4-wheel drive is great but so many people drive like idiots in the snow because of it, I wonder if people will approach riskier situations on purpose thinking this automated system will save them.

I too think it's an option that should be optional. There are just so many things that can happen on the road, it's hard to think that a computer would be able to pick up even half of them.

Reminds me of iRobot "11 percent is more than enough, a human being would have known that".

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Reminds me of iRobot "11 percent is more than enough, a human being would have known that".
I instantly thought of this as well. :lol:

I'm less worried about people relying on this too much than I am about what the consequances could be if the "control" taken makes the wrong move. It scares me a little that we would leave the safety of others (and ourselves) in the hands of robots/machines/computers. They can't ever analyse a situation with 100% accuracy.

I don't like this idea at all. I'm all for safety features in cars, but this just doesn't sit right with me.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
As a species are we so dumbed down we can't do ANYTHING for ourselves? Do we have to have computers do everything for us? I'm all for safety features and its great that advancements in technology is being used to further protect people, but at some point we need to some responsibility for ourselves. Things like this just leads to further devolution of the species. Soon we won't even know how to drive anymore at all.

dDave

V.I.P.
I instantly thought of this as well. :lol:

I'm less worried about people relying on this too much than I am about what the consequances could be if the "control" taken makes the wrong move. It scares me a little that we would leave the safety of others (and ourselves) in the hands of robots/machines/computers. They can't ever analyse a situation with 100% accuracy.

I don't like this idea at all. I'm all for safety features in cars, but this just doesn't sit right with me.
And they will never be able to analyze with the accuracy of a human being. Here's a question that nobody has asked yet...

If the computer causes you to have an accident, who is liable?

As a species are we so dumbed down we can't do ANYTHING for ourselves? Do we have to have computers do everything for us? I'm all for safety features and its great that advancements in technology is being used to further protect people, but at some point we need to some responsibility for ourselves. Things like this just leads to further devolution of the species. Soon we won't even know how to drive anymore at all.
I very much agree. There's already so much computer assistance in our everyday lives that we really shouldn't need something like this (even if it did work properly). I think that ideally, in many peoples minds, we won't need to drive in the future because the car will do it automatically.

As convenient as some computers are, I do think we are lessening the quality of life at some point. If everything is done for us, where's the fun in that?