Forcing kids to wear seat belts in school buses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was thinking about this yesterday so I've decided to make a thread out of it. I was wondering if you guys believe children should be forced to wear seat belts in school buses? Everyone else has to where them when their in a vehicle why doesn't school force that rule, especially that they have around fifty kids in total in most buses. Thoughts?

2. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I didn't worry about it when I was a kid because I didn't have to wear them and I turned out fine so I don't think it needs to be implemented now.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah, I never really thought about it as a kid and we never had any problems but the more you think about it, the more you realize that school buses are incredibly unsafe.

4. Babe_Ruth

I totally agree with you Cons, another thing that I don't clearly understand is this, why does the driver have to where one and not the rest of the kids? Doesn't make much sense to me. I might be wrong, but isn't there more chances of people getting injured in a bus that is flipped over then a car? Serious question.

EDIT: It makes sense that you don't really worry about it when your in the bus, I don't think people realize the importance of a seat belt till they actually drive. That's my opinion though.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think there's also the thinking that kids are so rowdy and that you can't make them wear their seat belts without a bus monitor or some kind of person to enforce the rule. From elementary to high school, I can't see a bus driver being able to enforce that sort of rule.

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

This was actually a big gripe of mine when they still had bus service in our school district. I guess the thinking behind not having them is that the way the seats are squeezed together makes the impact safer. (as long as it's not a side crash) I don't remember all the reasons, but it made sense and calmed my fears.

7. Babe_Ruth

Their definitely able to put seat belts in there, I've ridden in a school bus for about 14 years or so, and in almost every school bus the first seats on the right and left both had seat belts. Why not put them in every bench? But I understand what your saying Cons it would definitely be hard to enforce that rule since kids like to get up or just turn around to talk to their friends. I don't know about you guys, but we always had a safety person that looked out after every kids in our buses. We usually had two of them.

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I think seatbelts should be compulsory, there are laws underway here at the moment trying to implement it and some local authorities have already adopted it. If we can provide a safer enviroment for our children whilst they make their journey to and from school then it should be a top priority to do so.

What about the people who did not end up fine, like the children who have died or been injured?

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

yeah that's right. every school bus should have seat belts on every seat and it should be a "must" for them to wear those.

10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Well I think the large difference is that when you're driving in any other vehicle and wearing a seatbelt you're essentially being driven by someone with a C-Class license.

When you enter commercial transport vehicles (excluding Diesel Rigs which are A-Class), the driver had to take more strenuous process to recieve the B-Class license. So essentially the assumed "safeness" comes with the B-Class Licensed driver.

For that reason I can see why Seatbelts had been overlooked in the past. And now that I think about it, How often do we hear about School Buses slamming into other vehicular devices or overturning ending up in Unseatbelted children suffering injuries?

I can think of maybe 2 or 3 instances that the news covered such an event in the past what 5-6 years? So although at first glimpse a School bus seems incredibly unsafe.... try comparing it to one of the safest C-Class Vehicles on the road and tell me which one has had more Accidents and deaths associated with it.

I personally dont feel we need to rush to install seat belts in every school bus nationwide. But thats just my opinion.