• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Forced to write letters to her attacker.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This woman was viciously attacked by her boyfriend when she tried to break up with him right in front of her children. Now she has to write him letters giving updates on how the kids are doing because he requested it or she will go to jail.

Woman tortured by boyfriend told by court to write letters to her attacker or face jail

I don't think she should have to say anything to him. He chose to attack her not the other way around. I think this is further punishing the victim. I think England should change this law. This man isn't fit to be a parent.

Thoughts?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This is a pretty messed up situation. My original thought was "what a disgrace that she should be punished further like this". And part of me agrees that this guy should have zero parental rights, especially considering that he did all this to her IN FRONT of his kids.

However, the purpose of jail is to rehabilitate. Yes, it sucks and it's not fair to her, but they are his kids and he is in jail to get help and be rehabilitated.

Despite spending £3,000 on legal fees to fight the order, the court instructed her that she would have to comply by updating Hughes on the children’s school progress, health, and emotional development.
If I were her, I would send their school report cards, doctors letter on their general health and a school guidance counsellor or psychiatrist letter (which they should really be seeing anyway), updating him on their emotional development. And just write a short letter like "please find herewith attached detailed information regarding your children's progress and development. Apart from what has been mentioned in the attached, the kids are doing great knowing that their murderous father can't reach them". Maybe minus the last part.

It definitely sucks though and must be a hard thing for her to do. But she has to do it unfortunately.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hopefully by the time he gets out of jail the kids will be grown or at least old enough to tell him to get lost.

I don't see why someone else couldn't do this so she wouldn't have to talk to him. I don't see why it would matter who did it.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
OMG! Everyone's off their f~cking nut! F~cking legalistic pr!ck judge! WTF?! Judges have the means to set legal precedent do they not? And if ever there was a case for doing so it's this one! Any law on the books that facilitates this kind of garbage needs to be revised. I think it was in Florida, there was a case of a woman having to pay alimony to her husband after he tried to kill her. After a lot of public outcry and activism, an exemption was made to the law. The same sort of thing needs to happen here and it needs to happen soon and be applied retroactively. How f~cking sickening. Seems people just don't have any f~cking sense anymore. (Present company excluded of course) :D

- Cham

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I absolutely agree that she shouldn't be forced to put pen to paper to say jack shit to this guy. Why not at the very least make it so that she just sends on documents from professionals with the required updates.

I am fairly certain that even with getting updates on his children's growth, these kids will be old enough to be certain they don't want anything to do with this man by the time he is released. So it will all be for nothing anyway.

Stupid law, but until someone sees how ironic it is, she remains to be a victim.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Lock me in a room with no cameras with this guy and I'll deliver the letter... personally.
It'd be that last one she'd have to write to him.

- Cham