• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Forced to Work Overtime...

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
is it legal? I live in Texas and we are a right to work state, and I am just wondering if a company schedules you to work 6 days a week, 8 hours per day is this legal? I never signed anything agreeing to it but yet they are forcing me to work OT or else I am fired! Is this legal?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Contact your state's department of labor to find out what the regulations are. Good luck.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
As long as they are paying you to work overtime, I think that they can. Was it in the job requirements?

I would love some overtime, myself. My company doesn't allow it at all.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I want to say it is but I'm not sure. As Jeanie pointed out contact the state department of labor, they should know. I'm assuming they're paying you overtime for the hours over 40, right?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I was doing some looking around, it is definitely allowed on a federal level. Texas may have passed state laws that prohibit it, but I don't think they have.

I have been terminated before for not wanting to work the amount of overtime they were requiring...but that was 10 years ago. Things could be different now.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Probably legal. I used to hate it too. I couldn't wait to get out of there. No one likes to be forced just to save their job. Jeez. Hopefully just putting in an hour keeps you in good standing without having to sacrifice too much.

anmracing

Registered Member
In a right to work state that is legal. Usually companies don't want to pay the over time though. If you are salary then you are screwed.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Thanks guys, it is legal unfortuanetly. I called the the state labor board and it is legal in the state of Texas. I asked if I would get into trouble if I called in and yes I can. My company is paying for the overtime and I also found out that there is now unlimited over time so I guess I am going to take advantage of it while it's there because I am going to be the Best Man for two weddings next year in which I will be spending a bit of money and I'll use it for that. I don't like being forced to work overtime but that's ok I guess. I won't complain when I see my check.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I work overtime all the time during the course of the summer and do not get a lick of additional payment. It's not really fair but that's the way it goes with my job. Sometimes I work 70 hours a week and I get paid the same as if I was working 40 hours.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
You're lucky in a way, general. At least you have the opportunity to make some extra money. The company/industry I work in now often requires OT for no additional payment. I've gone through times where I've worked between 12 and 16 hour days. So at least you get the rewards with it.