For sub lovers

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Malificus, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

How do you know a sub is good quality?
    ------
    NOTE: thread is not sub vs. dub thread. Well, not directly.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008

2. elcaminojoe

elcaminojoe Registered Member

....wait. Heh I get it. Like if you knew what they were saying you wouldn't need subs in the first place. Idk how you know. You just hope that it is good quality. Sigh.

3. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Well, not just that, I'm also talking about the japanese dialogue itself. And sub translation quality can be confirmed by people who don't speak japanese through people who do.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. elcaminojoe

I guess you would know if it was good quality then if the sub gets the point across of the original dialogue. The only part about that though is like obscure phrases that don't exactly translate into anything that makes sense. So, it's all a gray area. I definitely want my subs to be good considering I don't know Japanese. So.....if you enjoy the story with subs, and it wasn't like retarded and had random phrases where you were like "WTF...?"....then I guess it's pretty good.:confused:

5. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

so your idea of "pretty good" really just requires the ability to translate Japanese into coherent English?

6. elcaminojoe

yeah i guess so. I'm not a super huge in depth anime watcher. It's never really crossed my mind to think of subs that way. Idk I'm just a simple peon who occasionally watches anime, not like a hardcore fan who needs every word to be exact-to-the-original dialogue.

7. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Unless an individual has taken several Japanese courses or is fluent in Japanese it is impossible to tell how well the dialogue was translated.

When I look for "good subs" I tend to look at the file size, the type script, and typos.

I know most anime fans think other fansubs groups do a better job with translation then some fansub groups. I think that is pretty naive unless the anime fan speaks japanese. Picking up a few phrases and words does not make you a credible judge when comparing fansub groups.

I think however I tend to grab fansubs from groups I have already dled from before and groups that have actual websites (not just blogs). That is all that I can base my judgment on though.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Well, say, do you prefer when they leave a lot of words untranslated?

Like say, calling a Death god a shikigami, or if for some reason, the subs say Kurisimasu instead of Christmas. Would you prefer to read the subs say a joke in straight translation with a huge note about why it's funny, or have the subs just find an English equivalent?

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I do like it when fansub groups include foot notes on some words or phrases.

It really doesn't both me if they leave words untranslated or if they translate it to the English equivalent...I am pretty indifferent to that.

But suppose in the fansub translation they don't explain when the show is making a reference to a common Japanese proverb or something. I will go "wtf?" since it seems out of context of the dialogue. So I prefer fansub groups that include some notes. But nothing excessive because they sometimes distract from the show.