For guys mainly: do you participate in things like that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Interested, May 12, 2010.

1. Interested

Interested Registered Member

Heya guys, just a random question for you - do you ever participate in polls like "would you do this girl?". If so, do you have a girlfriend?

I just ran across this thread on a football website where guys were discussing Helen Chamberlain. The language tey used to discribe what they would do to her was appalling! I have noticed before that every single thread like this was filled with "I'd do that bitch" and things waaaay more insulting than this even.

Sooo... I was wondering... Is it just what guys do or is it just what disrespectful guys do? Or maybe just singles? Curious you see...

(Women are welcome to give their point of view :nod:)

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I used to find that kind of thing to be entertaining. At my old forum we had a thread (created by me, actually) called "Would you hit it?" where we would post pictures of females and say yes or no for each one. It was fun at the time, but looking back on it it's definitely disrespectful.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It becomes a culture - everyone refers to women in derogatory terms, so in order to fit in, people who otherwise might not start to was well (plus, on a football forum, you're taking a group of people that tend to be more "macho" than the norm).

I've seen threads like that, and always laughed at it. Besides the fact that they often make themselves come across as world-class jerks, who wants to read 50 threads of people saying that they think a woman is attractive? (And then there's the people who decide that no matter how attractive a woman is, they'll tear her apart).

4. Interested

Nice knowing that some of them will get rid of the habit. Shame not all of them. You see old, married men on those websites acting exactly the same way and can't help wondering how are their wives. Especially when they manage to slip in something like "right guys, off now... Weekend away with mrs. Loads of shagging ahead".
    ------
    Agreed. Ironic how these "machos" are last guys on earth who would get a female with a functioning brain. I wish I could actually talk to one of them (but that's only because I love to "own" someone from time to time :rolleyes:)

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I've done it before and will probably do it again...

Its not like I'm going up to someone in person and saying it to their face. Besides, usually I'm just kidding around anyways.

I don't see the harm in it to be honest.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Good thread.

I think it depends on the moment, joke, guy, mood etc.

When I see guys acting like that I wonder the same : If they have partners.
    Anyway, it's not only this that matters. Even if the guy is single, it's low of him to always act like that.

I don't think I'd take a forum that seriously, but if the guy does it always in the real life...then it's a HUGE turn off and I'll end up thinking he's a big piece of ignorant.

I think it express low self-confidence and the desire to appear trendy just like his guy-friends.
    It's a lack of intelligence that maybe is related to age or the character-type.

7. Chowmein

Chowmein Registered Member

I pretty much steer celar of discussions like those. Not my cup of tea :shake:

Besides , I can imagine what's being said and I'm sure a lot of the guys in there are single and saying things just for the shock value.

8. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I've done it. And I do have a girlfriend.

9. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I'll go with that theory. The weekend before last I was in the Sam's Club getting barbecue meat with a friend when a girl of about sixteen or so happened to walk by us. "Huh-huh-huh," he chuckled in front of the other shoppers. "I know where your eyes were."

I was taken aback, to say the very least. "I don't ogle tits, Jim," I snapped grimly.

His eyebrows flew up as though I had told him I was a Martian. "You don't?" he asked with awkward surprise. The conversation ended there. It was a moment of divide between us. We are not the same kind.

10. Interested

The thing is, if we were talking about someone I care about (whether it would be mu SO, my brother, uncle, etc.), I would expect them to be respectful in ALL situations toward everyone.
    "She is good looking" as an answer to something like that (for a single guy) is alright. But once insulting language and suggestions are added, the guy's image falls from where I stand. Is there some personal "need" to refer to someone with such disrespect? Is the reason why they do not do it in reality is because they know they wouldn't get away with it?

Also, one very good point WADE8813 has mentioned is that it becomes a culture. Guys feel like they have to follow the crowd to "fit in". If it is really truth (not just an excuse), would you not lose respect anyway? Does it not suggest that he would give into bad influence just to be accepted by a company? Just like "I get hammered because it's a social thing". :-/
    ------
    Hahaha! I enjoyed reading this :lol: Well if there is any truth in this (and that was not just a dose of sarcasm), I am happy to think there are actually guys like that... Except for the word "tits". But then again - perfection does not exist.
    ------
    What can I say... Thumbs up.

(I know I don't, but I feel like I have to comment on every single answer, so apologise for flooding my own thread)

Last edited: May 12, 2010