• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

For Fear of Ridicule?

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
What is something you want to do but don't do for fear of ridicule? Has there been an experience in your life where you chose to just do it anyway? How did that turn out? This can be anything from trying to wear an item of clothing you thought might get mocked to choosing a job that someone in your life disapproved of.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
What is something you want to do but don't do for fear of ridicule? Has there been an experience in your life where you chose to just do it anyway? How did that turn out? This can be anything from trying to wear an item of clothing you thought might get mocked to choosing a job that someone in your life disapproved of.
I, personally, don't agree with the whole concept of "fear of ridicule." If there is something you want/need to do, just do it. Saying you're scared of "ridicule" is just an excuse. There are too many examples of actions I've taken that had to the potential of being "ridiculed" by someone. Long story short, it hasn't stopped me, and in the end most of these actions have lead to me being happy.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
For the longest time I shyed away from stage.

I didn't want to sing or dance infront of people in case they laughed at me. Not just because they might though. More because it ACTUALLY meant something to me. So to get teased for everything else was fine but because I was SO passionate about this it terrified me that I'd get criticised.

I'm over it now. But then I guess I've grown a lot more confident by actually BEING on stage and now I'm not afraid of being me anymore.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I would prolly avoid being on a stage for "fear" of ridicule but nothing else. I mean, why give people more chances to ridicule me than they already have? :lol:

But nothing else. I live for ridicule. :D People love to ridicule people and they will find a way to do it... and it doesn't matter what anyone does. So I just do and say whatever I wanna do and say. When someone wants to ridicule me, fine... as long as they don't get physical, they're safe and I'm still happy. :)

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Having opinions.

I regularly keep my mouth shut on certain topics because I am appallingly bad at getting my point across (and, as such, can come across as an idiot), and also for fear of losing friends. It's to the point where I have written a few sentences to post on GF, only to delete them when I'm done.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yep, I get ganged up on in MD and fear the ridicule so I'm not as active or open there anymore.

In RL though, it's being a chairperson for a school function. Talk about brutal. I watch what the others go through and admire how strong they are. So I am a "helper". That way I can fly under the radar but still get stuff done.

Also, I run a book club. There's been a few times that I faced a lot of criticism for how I handle a situation or a member. The thing is....it's a bunch of women. Anyone knows that managing a bunch of women is ALWAYS a problem.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Yep, I get ganged up on in MD and fear the ridicule so I'm not as active or open there anymore.
Even if you are getting ganged up on, why not continue posting? You know there is the possibility that you and the people are debating may learn things from eachother. The fact is MD should be able attacking arguments not one another. There is nothing personal about it (atleast there shouldn't be) and you should be able to express yourself.

Fact of the matter is, I don't agree with all the opinions you've expressed, but that doesn't mean I don't like you. Who knows, you might even become a stronger person and be able to take charge as a chairperson.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I wish dislike (either personal or of opinion) was confined to a certain topic or a certain thread. Fact is, it'll find it's way into reps, into PM, into need for help, or into just trying to have fun. People hold grudges, people stalk, and people make it a point to regularly remind recipients of their dislike. Gets to a point I don't want to give them any material. Albeit that doesn't mean I'll hold back forever. If a thread is deserving I'll write what I want. If I need to, I know how to ignore any harassers. But for the most part I want to come here peacefully.

As for being a chairperson....not gonna happen. I'm a worker not a delegator. It's my style (as well as a fear).

SuiGeneris

blue 3
I wish dislike (either personal or of opinion) was confined to a certain topic or a certain thread. Fact is, it'll find it's way into reps, into PM, into need for help, or into just trying to have fun. People hold grudges, people stalk, and people make it a point to regularly remind recipients of their dislike.
That's my point. Who cares? There's delete buttons, ignore buttons, and the ability to realize that person doesn't matter in your life. So as I said before: who cares? Why hide and run because you are scared that someone is going to not like what you say?

So what if little susie's mother thinks your a bitch?

shelgarr

Registered Member
So what if little susie's mother thinks your a bitch?
Because despite how anonymous or how meaningless there are consequnces. It's like pesty flies. They won't harm you, but they're irritating, and you can't stand when they land on you.