• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

For all things golf

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Do you play Golf?
Do you enjoy Golf?

I was introduced to the sport about 2 years ago. I honestly can't see myself involved in any other sport. Not only is it a sport that is really challenging, but I also love the outdoors and walking. As an excuse to go into the countryside this is the ultimate one for me... Beyond that, it's a sport I can do and also enjoy a lovely social drink of ale as I do it, I also get to hang out with people. And considering I always go with my Dad (who introduced me to it) it means I can also enjoy a bit of fatherly/son bonding which is always a good thing... Also I smoke, and I can even do that whilst playing Golf, so honestly. This sport is definitely my cup of tea.
I'm not too brilliant at it, although I am fully aware of the methods involved and the etiquette, and each game is always something new, always interesting. I suppose given practice I might get good at it too, which would be nice.

Anyway, that's a general rambling on about Golf, and my liking for it. How about you share your opinions of it. The love of it, your thoughts on certain golf etiquette rules, the best courses you've played, the frustrations of game play that you experience etc...

--

Also, as a little opener to discussion, why not answer this?

What is your favourite club? Not necessarily the one you perform best with, just the one you find the most comfortable to use, or the most effective in your game.
I find it hard to single out a club that I think is the best. Although, I do like the recovery wood I've got, given a properly good swing it can turn my game around completely. I love it...

So there. Thoughts on golf?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I play sometimes. I enjoy it but it takes quite a bit of time, so I don't play often. I've been playing for about 15 years now, not regularly though.

My favorite club is my 5 iron. I can't hit very far anyway, so I rarely use my woods. I stick mostly to my trusty 5 unless I need to pitch (or putt, obviously).

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I play sometimes. I enjoy it but it takes quite a bit of time, so I don't play often. I've been playing for about 15 years now, not regularly though.

My favorite club is my 5 iron. I can't hit very far anyway, so I rarely use my woods. I stick mostly to my trusty 5 unless I need to pitch (or putt, obviously).
Yeah, the time consumption of it is a problem. I mean, I have to work and do, so finding time is often a problem. Also the weather is, considering I live in drizzly old Britain, it means I don't get much chance to play, or not as much as I'd like.

I think this adds to my enjoyment of it though, because I appreciate the time I have, seeing as it isn't too regular.

I like the 5 iron too. I think most because it's one of the irons that I can hit pretty reliably with. With most of the other irons there seems to be a greatly bigger chance of me scuffing a shot up, but with the 5 and the 8 iron I seem to be consistently okay at producing a shot I can be happy with. So I like them.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm not even sure I have an 8 in my bag. If I'm going up, I'll go with my 7 or my 9.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I'm not even sure I have an 8 in my bag. If I'm going up, I'll go with my 7 or my 9.
Wow. I find the 8 to be pretty useful. especially on par 3s of a shorter than normal distance. If I have this then I have a decent chance of getting the ball on the green with holes like this. Also, it's really handy as a substitute for my pitching wedge, as I have a lot of problems using that. The 8 seems to ideal for my efforts that involve making the ball roll onto the green, as opposed to lofting it into the air and landing on the dance floor (which I suck at) -- I'm hoping the new wedge I got recently will remedy this frustration in my game, but if not I can always rely on my 8 iron.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I've been playing golf for years. It was something my dad and I always did together and we would use it to talk and get away from everything else. Some of my best memories of spending time with my dad was on the golf course.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I used to be addicted to golf from about 6th grade through high school. I practiced non-stop and played whenever I could. I was pretty decent at one point, but then my game fell apart a la David Duval and I got too frustrated to the point where I no longer enjoyed playing. So I've only played a handful of times over the last eight years or so. And the last couple times I played I rented left-handed clubs to see what I could do with them, and it was more enjoyable for me since I didn't expect to be good.

My favorite club was always my sand wedge. I used it everywhere from about 80 yards and in, and I was a magician with it around the greens. I usually used my 3 wood or 5 wood off the tee. I could hit it 220+ yards and much more accurately than my driver. As for irons, I was best with the middle irons, 6-8. I was never great with the long irons.

I've gotten to play some pretty sweet courses in Arizona, Florida, and the Chicago area. My favorite was the TPC of Scottsdale, where they play the Phoenix Open. Also got to play Grayhawk, which was Phil Mickelson's home course. In addition to that, I've been to several US Opens and PGA Championships. Golf tournaments are surprisingly fun to attend.

If it weren't so damn expensive to play I would probably try to get back into it. I just can't afford to play. Decent public courses around here are a good $40 or more for 18 holes.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Wow, $40 is expensive. We could usually play for about $15 to $20 for 18 holes, about $13 for 9. In the summer it's even a little cheaper.

I was never any good with my driver and usually teed off with my 3 or 5 wood. I liked my middle irons a lot and my sand wedge. I could never really hit well with my long irons.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
The expense of golf is a problem. Not just to go on the course, but to have the right equipment in general.

The best course I've ever played was at a small course adjoined with a hotel, called Hollins Hall, near Bradford (Yorkshire, UK) - I think I enjoyed it mostly for the sheer pleasantry of the country vistas. There was one hole set beneath an enormous looming viaduct, and the hole itself seemed pretty daunting, the fairway in the distance so that it looked almost impossible to hit.

I like the Sand Wedge. I've had real trouble with my pitching wedge, I think it's because I'm so tall, I just can't seem to get under the ball properly with it. Because of this I have been using my sand wedge for chipping shots onto the green, and it works wonders. Love the club.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never played a round of Golf in my life, I've always wanted too but never actually went out there and played it. I don't know if I would have the patience to do so either. I can get really frustrated playing sports, especially if things don't go my way.

I do go to the Driving Range often when they're open, during the summer time I try to go at least once or twice a week. Usually I buy 200 balls, it last me for a while. I've gotten better over the years, I still don't shoot straight sometimes, but I'm working on changing that. I do hope that I'll be able to play a round of Golf sometime this year.