Food Racism. No, I'm not kidding.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
San Diego, California (CNN) -- This week, I was on a talk radio show when the host -- a white male conservative (what are the odds?) -- asked me if Americans are so sensitive that we now have to worry about "food racism." When I first heard the phrase, I thought he was talking about the time that Hillary Clinton, during the Democratic primary, went looking for Latino votes in a Mexican restaurant in Las Vegas, Nevada. Trying to explain to her mostly Mexican-American audience that Americans' concerns are intertwined, Clinton wound up showing everyone that her knowledge of Latino issues is a side order short of a combination plate when she said condescendingly:

"We treat these problems as if one is guacamole and one is chips, when ... they both go together."

Gulp! I remember thinking at the time: "Ay gracias, Señora Clinton. I have difficulty with challenging political issues, but now you're speaking my language. Come on, donkey!"

Instead, the radio host was talking about the latest tempest -- a taco in a teapot. One of the most recent skirmishes in the culture wars is about a Latino race car driver and a TV broadcaster who spun out and hit the wall after telling a lame joke that some are calling racist.

ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese has been suspended for one week for a stereotypical crack he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya. During a recent ESPN broadcast, a graphic appeared listing the top drivers in a NASCAR competition. When fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, Griese replied he was "out having a taco."

[...]

Referring to the Masters' Champions Dinner where the menu is set by the previous year's winner, Zoeller said about Woods: "That little boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not [to] serve fried chicken next year. Got it?" Zoeller smiled, snapped his fingers, and walked away. Then he turned his head and yelled over his shoulder, "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve."

Woods, whose mother is Asian-American and whose father was African-American, calls himself: "Calibasian."

Zoeller obviously saw Woods in simpler terms. Insisting his comments were "not intended to be racially derogatory," the golfer later apologized "for the fact that they were misconstrued in that fashion."

Fried chicken and collard greens, huh? Now that's what I call food racism.
Take talk of food racism with grain of salt - CNN.com

'Food racism'? Are you serious!? At what point does this idiocy leave racism and start trespassing on culture? Mexicans eat goddamn tacos!! I don't think it's unreasonable at all to say so.

Hell, they should be proud of it, tacos are delicious.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Take talk of food racism with grain of salt - CNN.com

'Food racism'? Are you serious!? At what point does this idiocy leave racism and start trespassing on culture? Mexicans eat goddamn tacos!! I don't think it's unreasonable at all to say so.

Hell, they should be proud of it, tacos are delicious.
Bob Griese is one of the worst sportscasters I've seen in awhile. But, I don't see the problem with what the he said.

The other guy that commented on Tiger Woods - that seemed wrong, over the top.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm a little offended by what he said. I agree with Navarette that on a scale of 1 to 10 it's about a 4, maybe a 3. It's somewhat insensitive but not that big a deal.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Huh. That's interesting. If one would think that fried chicken and collard greens were offensive, why wouldn't saying a Mexican is out eating a taco also be offensive?

I wouldn't really scream racism over that, it's more stereotypical, IMO. I hear all sorts of things of that nature pertaining to being Southern or Texan...so to me it's not that big a deal, although sometimes irritating.

It's still uncouth and unnecessary to make those sort of remarks though.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Well in such matters tone is everything. Just from reading the account of Zoeller's comments you can tell with what tone it was said. I couldn't get a feel for Griese's tone, but like I said Griese isn't my favorite sportscaster and I could believe that he said it in a snide way.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm with CO. It's about halfway (maybe a 4 like CO on a scale of 10) when it comes to being offended by the remark because it's really is just a thin veil covering the obvious racial remark. "He's probably off doing something Mexican" is what was under the statement itself.

I do believe racism can be construed through food however, but I think calling it "food racism" is fucking pathetic. I could say, "50 Cent is probably eating fried chicken and watermelon somewhere" and I would most definitely get burned by the media and other rights activists. The fact is that food is just one of many things that can bring up racism since food tendencies are integral in identifying different races. Every race has a specific food style so calling someone out like that or insulting them like that is akin to racism.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
:dunno: It's rather innappropriate for a public broadcast, but if I apply this to myself ("Where's PretzelCorps?" --> "Eating bacon with maple syrup, drinking beer, and saying 'eh!'") I just fail to see how such things could cause such a stir. Because I do eat bacon with maple syrup, drink beer, and say "eh!". Quite frequently.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's true PC, but there isn't a history of making disparaging remarks by minorities about non-minorities and making stereotypical comments like that. When a comment is made like that many times they are because there is a hint of racism to them. I'm not saying that's the case 100% of the time however.

I will say those comments are made now by comedians like Chris Rock and George Lopez and I object to them. I don't like racial comments and if minorities are going to object to Michael Richards for example for using the N-word, then they have to object to Rock saying Cracker and honkey and making stereotypical remarks also.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
That's true PC, but there isn't a history of making disparaging remarks by minorities about non-minorities and making stereotypical comments like that. When a comment is made like that many times they are because there is a hint of racism to them. I'm not saying that's the case 100% of the time however.
Okay, point taken --> There's really no historical or racial tension between Canada and Mexico (that I know of), so I guess I should count myself as a little distant from the conflict.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I was watching the game when Griese made the taco comment. It was during the Ohio State/Minnesota game last weekend. The hilarious thing about it is that Juan Pablo Montoya is Colombian, not Mexican.

I think this sort of thing is a little ridiculous to be offended by, to be honest. If a broadcast crew in Europe said an American was off eating cheeseburgers I would laugh.