• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Food, Inc. Hungry for change?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Has anyone seen this documentary? I watched it last night and it was quite the eye opener. And it's not like I was completely oblivious to the evils of late coming from the food industry. Living in the consumer era, everything has to be bigger and better and cheaper, so the food industries are just conforming to the nature of the beast.

That said though, this documentary was shocking to watch with some footage we as consumers are probably better of not ever seeing. Or are we? Since I've come to the US, I've been complaining about how everywhere I am able to shop at only has unhealthy products, filled with preservatives that make the fat cats even fatter. It's all about money. How has something as essential to mankind's survival as food become all about the money?

For the past few weeks (after finally finding a healthy food grocer in my area) and especially after watching this documentary, I plan to make a drastic lifestyle change. And the principles are simple. If I can't read it, I don't eat it. If there is anything on the label of ingredients that I am not able to pronounce, it doesn't go in my trolley. Organic foods. Yes, it's more expensive, but you save in the long run, as Food, Inc. explains.

The documentary is summed up by a very good final thought. These "cash cows" control the way we eat. One might think there is nothing we can do to fight this, as they have the millions of dollars. It's a losing battle. That's not true. We as consumers are the only ones who can actually do anything about it. And we can cripple these industries by demanding organic, healthy food, the way it used to be produced centuries ago. I know I am but one person, but I am doing it. If not to bring down these industries, then just for my own health.

Thoughts?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I've seen this documentary a few times, it's pretty good. Even though I live in Australia and the whole documentary is filmed in America watching it made a few of my friends turn vegetarian which is a positive thing. I was already veggo before I watched it but it was nice seeing more people change just because of a movie.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I have watched it as well, and it was definitely an eye opener. You need to read the Omnivore's Dilemma, Idi! The book and author were mentioned in the film. It's quite good.

But yeah, I can't afford to eat organic a whole bunch, but I do when I can.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm not sure it got me quite to the point of becoming a vegetarian, tbh. I still believe there are ways you could eat meat that is still farmed the way it used to be. I'm pro meat, in fact. Only speaking for myself, I think I really need meat, without it I get headaches. That said though, as long as I keep the same principles for my meat as I do for everything else I eat from now on, I think I am doing what I set out to do.

Iris, that's the problem with organic foods. It's costly. But that's where we as consumers can make a difference. If we swing the trend to only want organic foods, the prices should drop. *shrug*

Iris

rainbow 11!
Man, you need to read my blog. One of them is a speech that I gave in college about this crap here!