• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Food as fuel, not something to do.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
This is my biggest issue health-wise. Food is something to do for me as opposed to something I need to do for fuel.

How do you do it? How can I change?

Konshentz

Konshentz
I definitely struggle with this as well. Half the time I'm just eating for the fuck of it, not because I am hungry. It's not great. Haha.

I have only fixed my issue once, for like 2-3 months. I was able to lose 40+ pounds and felt great. But then I fell off the wagon and haven't been able to make any real progress since. Just small spurts of eating right and exercising regularly.

Doc

V.I.P.
That's where I am. I was down to a record low weight for the past 8 years for me: A nice looking 275. But as soon as I hit that I fell off of the wagon and the snacking took over again. It's getting worse now that I'm not up and moving around nearly as much due to working from home. Ugh.

dDave

V.I.P.
I found for me that committing to be active has been incredibly helpful. I have gym time scheduled 3 times a week and the only way I get to skip is if I'm sick. I usually skip breakfast and resume my eating with a normal sized lunch.

It's also helpful to find healthy foods that you like. Example, I like raw spinach or berries. Snacking isn't bad but I only allow myself to do it after I do a workout, seems to be working.

I'll usually do elliptical, running, or biking. Cardio is really good for you, keeps you in shape, and burns tons of calories (and continues to burn calories even after your workout is over)

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
When it comes to healthy foods, I practically always eat because I'm hungry, not just for the sake of eating.

But when it comes to junk food, I have a real sweet tooth, I must admit.

The only way I don't eat junk food when I'm at home is when I don't have any junk food left in my home.

Doc

V.I.P.
The only way I don't eat junk food when I'm at home is when I don't have any junk food left in my home.
That's a powerful quote that resonates strongly with me. If there's junk food I'm going to eat it. It's a serious self control issue. Also, the more I tell myself I shouldn't have something, the more I want it. It's like just having the food in my mind makes me want to eat it.

Impact

V.I.P.
Food is a hobby for me. I love to cook, trying new recipes and feeding people honestly keeps me happy. I balance that with my other love, working out. It's a fine line between the two and I use an app to track my calorie intake. I have the odd day off and don't 'ban' certain foods which just makes me want them even more, rather it's everything in moderation.

Like Dave said, it's important to find healthy foods that you like. Make those foods more accessible than junk foods. Whether that be not buying the junk foods if you're struggling with self control or hiding them or putting them or a higher or lower shelf.

Hummus and vege sticks, sweet and salty popcorn and nut/dried fruit selections, dark chocolate and green bananas are my go to snacks. Don't get me wrong, if I ate a lot of those things it wouldn't be healthy but between them they satisfy any cravings.

One final note, I've tried breaking the eating for boredom habit by drinking instead. Often times a glass of water distracts me enough plus a lot of the time hunger can be mistaken for thirst.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This sounds incredibly simple but it's important to remember.
Losing weight is hard. Really really hard.

I hear all the time losing weight is easy. So I commit to lose 15 lbs, start doing it, fall off the wagon and beat myself up because it's "so damn easy" but I'm too much a failure.
No! No! It's hard. That means I'm going to screw up and there will be setbacks but because it's hard, it's worth it.
Nothing easy is worth doing. It's a challenge and we were created for challenges.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I knew a guy who only eat because he had to. As a kid he would eat as fast as possible and cram all the food together to get it down faster so he could go back and do other things. And then he wouldn't think about food after that...it was something that looking back on, I admire in a weird way.

I myself get excited for meals but need to still work on stopping with the dang snacks...snacks are the devil. I'm looking at you chips and candy.