Following the alcohol rules?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
-When you were / If you are underage, did/do you follow strictly the rules [related to alcohol] which prevent you from drinking alcohol unless you're "legal"???

-Do you think not/following this rule influences in a person's chances to become alcoholic?

We don't have that kind of rule in my country, and I've been drinking it since I was little [talking more of beer]. I remember I used to drink it when I was 10 but never been drunk [let alone an alcoholic].
I guess it depends on every individual.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Statistics show that lots of alcoholics started drinking early. Like 13/14. My dad started when he was twelve.

Myself, I did start drinking till I was 17, but very little. I didn't get to be a heavier drinker till I was 19ish

Yeah, the individual differences would be too huge to make a guess, I suppose. If you're a sensible character then being around alcohol at an early age would probably be a good thing, and vice versa.

To answer your first question, no I didn't follow the drinking rules when I was underage (which is 18, here). I had alcohol most weekends, and like most 14/15/16 year olds in the UK it was mostly consumed in parks and on golf courses :lol: eurgh, lambrini.

**Oh, and I drunk a lot more back then than I do now. I stopped drinking frequently (ok, that makes me sound like an alcoholic when I was a kid, it wasn't like that haha) by around 17 years old. And then after that I pretty much waited until I could go to pubs and stuff, but even then it was still less than before.

Last edited:

Bananas

Endangered Species
I started drinking adult like quantities when I was about 14, that was the age the pubs started serving us, the law is 18 but I grew up in a relaxed town where they would prefer to see the kids in the pubs than out wandering the streets.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've had a few sips starting at the age 14 or so, I don't remember how old I was when I had my first full bottle. But I didn't start going out to clubs/bars ect. till I turned 18 years old.

I doubt there's a lot of people who followed these rules to be honest with you.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I find it funny how I was one bit interested in going to bars/parties and getting drunk with my school friends, but when I met my current friends when I first started my job at 18 I became the alcoholic I am today lol. But to answer the question, I did drink booze under the age of 19(which is the age limit) but the beer was supplied by my dad and dranked with him. I never used a fake I.D...was to afraid to get caught.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah, i'd be really surprised if a lot of people hadn't broken the alcohol related laws.

Not surprisingly, I didn't pay any attention to the law regarding underage drinking. I started drinking heavily when I was about 15. Me and my mates would walk around the streets drinking, or in the park or down on the beach. Occasionally we'd have a friend who's parents were away for the night or out for a couple hours so we would drink there. It was never an issue to get the alcohol, either older friends, siblings and occasionally parents would buy it. When my parents figured out I was drinking a lot, and all the time, they would buy it for me, on the terms that me and my friends drunk at home so they could supervise it.

I don't think it really influences becoming an alcoholic. Most young teens i've known have drunk a lot when they were younger. I drink a lot less now then I did when I was younger, even though I have a drink or two every day, and still can drink a lot more than is good for me, I don't do it every weekend.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Oh, I first had a beer when I was 14, a year and a half later I occasionally had a shot, but, the frequency is slowly going up for me. I better take it down a bit..... lol

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
No. The legal drinking age here is 21. I think my mom let me have a mixed drink one Christmas when I was 15. Then, I started drinking at parties when I was 17. My sister was 21...so yeah. She was a bad influence. I still wouldn't say that I ever drank heavily. It goes in spurts, and is never regularly.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I didn't start drinking a lot till I was about 15, I found it easy around then to get it off mates. I didn't give a rat's arse about the legal age limit.