• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Folder redirection solution

Sean7

Hi, there!

We have a Win2003 server with 75 Win XP workstations. I'm thinking about using folder redirection to centralize all of the user documents and settings on our server. Is there a best way to perform this?

Penguin

Registered Member
I can understand wanting to centralize documents, but settings? What would be the purpose behind that? Wouldn't that cause a serious problem if the computer were somehow disconnected from the server?

evlEye

You can redirect My Documents folder by right clicking it and selecting properties to a location (disk) on your server or storage. Also you can use a tool from Microsoft called SyncToy to sync folder on a local computer where user saves data with folder on server/storage. And as for settings for users and computers, the best way is to setup Group Policy rules on Win 2003.