Flying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dali, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Dali

Dali Registered Member

On Thursday I am flying to America and to be honest I am so scared! I hate flying, I have flown so many times in my life but just over a year ago I developed a fear of it. I just think it's so unnatural for us humans to be all that way up in the sky in a tin can and plus I have no control over the situation, what makes it worse is I have just been watching the news and a British Airways plane has just had to make an emergency landing in Chicago for some mechanical difficulties or something along those lines, it really doesn't make me feel any better. I got on a plane again last year and it was only a 5 hour flight, it was horrible and I had to take 6 Valium to get me through it!

Apart from taking a shit load of Valium what can I do to calm myself down, my heart is racing already just thinking about it and I am breaking out into a sweat.

8 hours on a plane is a long time, I am hoping if I take enough Valium it will knock me out but last time I took the maximum I could take and it still didn't knock me out, but I was a little out of it. I am not a drinker but I am thinking maybe a couple of Martinis will help?

Please help to calm me down, in 3 days I have to get on a plane!!!

2. ItsMagick

ItsMagick Registered Member

All I have to say -

But seriously, don't worry. My Dad is scared of flying kind of, and when we went on our last trip to Wisconsin, he listened to the aircraft/ground control transmissions and what they were saying to eachother, and I guess that calmed him down enough to relax, haha. Just find something to take your mind off the flight, whatever it is.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Like Magick pointed out, flying is very safe and routine these days. You really are safer in an airplane than you are driving your car. Just keep yourself busy. Read a book or magazine, watch a movie, listen to music, etc. There's really nothing to worry about.

4. Dali

Dali Registered Member

But what about DVT?? That is dangerous, I wont be able to keep still just in case and I bought some special socks. I spoke to the Doctor about it and she said I only have a slightly higher risk of developing it but still it's something to think about.

5. Major

Just get up and move around every once in a while and you'll be alright. I think you're just worrying way too much. Flying is no different than taking a train except it's faster and there's tighter security.

6. Dali

Dali Registered Member

No because in a train you are on the ground you are not miles up in the air over the Atlantic Ocean. I am going to be a wreak in the airport like I was last time, plus I have to be there four hours before, it just prolongs the torture. I would rather just get there and just get on the plane but no four hours of getting worked up.

Ok I gotta chill out about this.

7. Major

It's safer up in the air. There's nothing to run into up there like there is on the ground.

8. Dali

Dali Registered Member

Oh yeah, how many planes have crashed into each other? Sorry I read to much on the internet about these things, but there have been quite allot of mid air collisions.

Damn me, stupid internet!

9. Major

A lot fewer planes have hit each other than trains or cars, that's for sure.

10. Dali

Dali Registered Member

Ok I know you are making sense Ech but I still can't get rid of my fear. I tried hypnotherapy for my last flight and it didn't work. No matter what I am still getting on the plane, I will just have to deal with the fear, there is no other way I can be with Dan, a boat perhaps but that is pretty unrealistic.