Flyers agree to one-year deal with ray emery

Why would they want him? I have to imagine incase one of their goalies gets hurt, I can't see him taking a job from Biron or even Niittymaki. But who knows, maybe he'll come in and help them out.

What did he do to get such a bad rep? I have seen him play quite a bit, but didn't really follow anything Senator's related. I'd imagine it would be something violent. Ha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The word is that the Flyers have given up on Biron and Emery will be the starter in 2009.

Emery had a bad attitude, he thought he was better than everyone else, he fought teammates in practice and he always showed up late in practice. That's why the Sens bought out his contract.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Niitamayki (sp) is a free agent so he's probably a goner...dont know Biron's contract situation. Emery used to be a good goalie....bad attitude...we'll see.
------
I should mention I think its fine the Flyers are taking a flyer (hehe) on Emery but as a starter thats reckless...backup is fine.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Good one Millz lol. The Flyers are suppose to re-sign Niitamayki and get rid of Biron. They totally lost faith in him. Doesn’t make much sense because he’s played pretty well for them. We’ll see what happens though during the next few months.

Marvelous1

Registered Member
I strongly believe this Emery's last shot at the NHL. If he screws up this time he's done.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There’s no denying that Marvo. He’s a good goalie when he has head screwed in straight. It’s just that he’s immature, he thinks of himself first before his teammates. He also doesn’t show up to practice in time, and when he eventually shows up, he thinks its no big deal.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What did he do to get such a bad rep? I have seen him play quite a bit, but didn't really follow anything Senator's related. I'd imagine it would be something violent. Ha.

He was constantly late to practices;

Report: Emery late for practice again - Sportsnet.ca

Sens Goalie Ray Emery in Trouble Again : Hockey Beat - NHL Hockey News - Hockey Information

Ottawa Senators to fine Goalie Ray Emery up to $14,700 OTB Sports

it got so bad with him and practices that they even started fining him over it :hah:

And he had a bad attitude towards the Coaches & Trainers

Ray Emery Fights Trainer On The Bench

Coach sends Emery home from practice - Sportsnet.ca

Hell he was even fighting his own teammates!

Pittsburgh Penguins - Blogs: Ottawa navigates a treacherous road to postseason - 04/08/2008

Senators downplay Emery, McGrattan punch up

Emery's problem is that he's got a big head. His ego gets ahold of him and just ruins him as a player. In My Opinion, I feel he has great potential to be an awesome goalie. He's fully capable of being a fan favorite. But his biggest downfall is he's an asshole, he's got poor work ethic, and coaches dont know how to straighten him out.

Last edited:

greyham_G

Registered Member
I agree that emery has the potential to be a great goalie. I really hope that Ottawa buying out his contract and him playing a year in the kontinental league has straightened him out because i think if he stuck around the NHL he could make a team really happy...or really pissed off...but hopefully he realizes that and gets his shit together.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nice research Ice, when all this stuff was happening, they were talking about it all the time on the sports shows I listen to. A funny thing, one time when he was late in practice, the team just put a tie as the goal keeper with all the hockey teams on there. It must of been a huge slap in his face. I love it.