• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Flowers/Hanging Baskets etc

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Some of you may or may not seen my "court yard" as I like to call it. It is a very small space offset from my kitchen that many people use to store bins. I don't, I usually have a table and chair out there and I have two hanging baskets at the moment.

I am planning in the Spring/Summer to put a small amount of decking out there and get a huge soil container type thing and put grass seeds, flowers and some other bits and pieces. It's not a huge location so it won't be a huge project but it's something I am looking forward to in the spring.

Does anyone else here do something similar? What do you have and what kind of flowers are your favourites? Can you offer me any tips about when to plant and how close to others etc?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The flowers I have planted in the past have recommended you put them a foot apart and get at least 6 hours of sun a day. If your patio doesn't get a lot of sun I would recommend flowers or plants that don't require a lot of sun.

I have often started them in the house about a month or so before it has been warm enough to plant them outside. If you do that you need to keep your seed containers warm so they will sprout. Until they sprout being warm is more important than getting light and keep the soil moist.

dDave

V.I.P.
Our setup doesn't really allow for a courtyard per se. We do put flowers in some nice stone pots on either side of the front door. We also put flowers in pots around our sitting area on our back deck, nothing too extravagant. We also have a hummingbird feeder hanging over the deck, we see lots if cool birds.

Flowers are hard to keep alive in the high desert, it's worth it though.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Our setup doesn't really allow for a courtyard per se. We do put flowers in some nice stone pots on either side of the front door. We also put flowers in pots around our sitting area on our back deck, nothing too extravagant. We also have a hummingbird feeder hanging over the deck, we see lots if cool birds.

Flowers are hard to keep alive in the high desert, it's worth it though.
When I was in Colorado several years ago I noticed that the motel we were at watered their shrubs constantly. I was wondering if that was necessary.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I only have three flowers - two on my desk at work, and one in my room at home. All three are perennial orchids, and I've named each three of them. :nod: I like orchids a lot because they grow back each year, they're fairly low maintenance and they're really pretty. One has flowers of white, one a rich, deep purple, and the third is a mixture of white and pink/purple. They're lovely flowers.

Unfortunately I don't have any space for any other kind of plants; these are perfect for my lifestyle at the moment. My friends (from whom I rent a room) have a full garden full of plants and flowers and herbs, but it isn't really mine to plant things in. Plus one of my friends is a total brainiac on all things plant - he can literally look at a plant and tell what it is, the family of plant is has come from, and a bunch of other things. And this is just because he knows random facts and grew up in the countryside.

dDave

V.I.P.
When I was in Colorado several years ago I noticed that the motel we were at watered their shrubs constantly. I was wondering if that was necessary.
It is necessary, yes. Due to the altitude the sun beats down harder on everything. We also don't have as much moisture in the air (the single reason why I love the climate there). The problem with that is that plants (and people) lose water quickly. There isn't a whole lot of water around here, we get water from snowmelt and groundwater, that's about it. We aren't even legally allowed to put out a bucket and collect water.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks Dave for answering that question for me. To me it just seemed strange at the time to water constantly. If you did that here you would have a dead plant.

I don't understand them not letting you collect rainwater. Whether it evaporates out of the ground or a bucket it will still go back into the atmosphere. Its also very good for your houseplants.

dDave

V.I.P.
Out here we have something called water rights. All of the runoff will eventually feed into streams and rivers. Big farming states like Nebraska and Kansas are right next door, they need the water from Colorado to grow their crops. The water gets there by traveling via rivers.

Water has a whole bunch of different rules and regulations for use, so much so that people go to water court to settle their differences.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunrise Art & Creative 1
HalfEatenSurprise General Discussion 13
T Bathroom Wall 9
T Bathroom Wall 13
T Bathroom Wall 2