Florida #1, UNC #2 In AP Preseason Poll

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

USA Today - The University of Florida, the defending National Champions, received 63 first-place votes and 1,788 points from the 72-member national media panel to easily outdistance North Carolina, which got the other nine No. 1 votes and 1,704 points.

"We appreciate and respect that people think this highly of our basketball team," Gators coach Billy Donovan said Monday. "That being said, this ranking has everything to do with what we were able to accomplish last year and nothing to do with this year. We're very honored to be the preseason No. 1, but at the same time, we fully realize we have a lot of work ahead of us."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/43117/20061106/florida_#1_unc_#2_in_ap_preseason_poll/

2. Bob Sakamano

Bob Sakamano Guest

George Mason ranked?

3. Babe_Ruth

I don't think they're ranked. Just because they had a great run last year during the NCAA tournament doesn't mean they'll be ranked. UNC and Florida will be strong teams like usual but look out of Ohio State because of the new recruit and maybe the best basketball player not in the NBA right now Greg Oden to tare it up.

4. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Florida's got the talent to repeat, but I don't think it will happen as they will ahve a target on their chest for whomever they face. UNC acquired some great players, but I think Ohio St. got even better ones. Not only Oden, but they got a great backcourt in Cook (who's an AMAZING shooter) and a great ballhandler and decision maker in Conley, Jr. I saw those two play in the McDonald's All-American game last year, and they decimated the defenders when given the oppurtunity. So Florida and UNC #1 and #2 makes sense, but I doubt either will win the title.

5. Babe_Ruth

I agree with you, Florida will have a target on them, and will Noah continue is dominance that he has shown in the NCAA Tournament last year. Also like you've mentioned about Ohio St they've added two great players, in Cook and Oden, and they already had great players last season that are coming back.

But I think that UNC will be very strong especially Hansbrough whos the top vote-getter on the preseason All-America team.

Should be a very interesting college year this season.