Floating in the water

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Vidic15, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, yesterday my class went pools and I found out that I can't float on pool water, like we were diving in the 2.5 meter pool, and I couldn't float.

It's weird, I can float in sea water, despite the deepness.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Salt water is a lot denser than pool water, so it's easier to float on it. Or something like that.

3. Zachary

Zachary ,,l,, //_- ,,l,,

two words:

surface tension

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Aleks, it has something to do with density (as Echoes pointed out) than the depth of the water. Sea water is more dense than pool water because of the salt content. Not sure how much it is. It's typical to find it easier to float. I have heard that in Dead Sea, the saltiest body of water (30+ % salinity), anyone can easily float there.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've never been very good at floating in a pool. Most all my family can, they just lay on their backs and float like its nothing. Not me I just sink. I'm a damn good swimmer, I've been swimming for as long as I can remember. But floating is just not one of my strong points what so ever.

I've also heard about floating in salt water being easier, I've never tried it though.

6. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

I've never been in salt water before, but I still suck at floating! I can't float at all.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I float, the only person I know who really really can't is my dad. Its quite funny.

8. Vidic15

Not just on the back, like I can't stand up in the water, if that makes sense, especially in the deep end.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

you mean you cant tread water at all?...

10. Vidic15

Nope, I can swim on pool water..