Flint's Sagging Pants Law

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
Flint cops crack down on sagging pants | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

On June 27, the chief issued a departmental memorandum telling officers: "This immoral self expression goes beyond freedom of expression."
The crime, he says, is disorderly conduct or indecent exposure, both misdemeanors punishable by 93 days to a year in jail and/or fines up to $500.

Dicks, 41, broke down his interpretation of the laws as such: Pants pulled completely below the buttocks with underwear showing is disorderly conduct; saggy pants with skin of the buttocks showing is indecent exposure, and saggy pants, not completely below the buttocks, with underwear exposed results in a warning.

On Monday, a Free Press reporter and videographer rode with the chief as he confronted teens sporting the sag look. He issued verbal warnings to several people and said the style also gives police probable cause to search those wearing no-rise jeans.
In my opinion this is bullshit, not only is a complete waste of resources, what Flint is doing wither they meant to or not, they've found a way to get probable cause to search lower income young people on sight.

I mean what the shit is going on when how your dressed is probable cause.
Lets say your 16 year old dumb ass kid won't wear a belt because thats how the cool kids wear they're pants. Now a police officer can just stop him and search him, based solely on how he looks.

Yes I know the trend is annoying, but I don't think you should be able to tell people how to dress.

The ACLU is looking into the legality of this, but as of yet nothing has changed.

Discuss

I think Louisiana passed this same law a while ago and Maryland tried it but it got nowhere. In any case it's a dumb law and will only result in innocent people with baggy pants being locked up while real crime (you know like robbery or murder) is happening.

Hiei

The Hierophant
How is that any cause to search anyone? Just because your pants are falling off, it doesn't mean that you're packing heat or stealing, maybe some drugs. Which is the only thing I could think of, anyway, to find on someone. Bull shit.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yes I know the trend is annoying, but I don't think you should be able to tell people how to dress.

The ACLU is looking into the legality of this, but as of yet nothing has changed.

Discuss
Yes, the trend is annoying but I don't think it merits jail time or fines.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would endorse a swift crippling of those who find this "law" either realistic or necessary.

All this whining about the economy and we're sending cops out to get wiggers who can't afford belts. That's some real financial intelligence right there.

Rectify88

Registered Member
Don't the Cops have better things to do than to hunt down S**t pants all the time. Oh yeah there supposed to be out looking for REAL Murders and Rapist and other REAL criminals. Is it stupid of course it is should they be wearing pants like that, not really, should they get crap for it yes, but arrested you gotta be kidding me, as much as I hate to say it they are with in the boundaries of the first amendment witch does allow them to do that.