• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Flint water crisis

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The state downplayed and largely ignored the immediate complaints about the smell, color and taste of the water in 2014.

Previously, the city used Lake Huron water treated by the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. The state Department of Environmental Quality has conceded it failed to require needed chemicals to be added to the corrosive Flint River water.

As a result, lead leached from pipes and fixtures into the drinking water.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../michigan-flint-water-contamination/78996052/

I don't know how the city or state could let this go on for so long. The people of Flint will suffer long term effects of lead poisoning. You would think as soon as they realized what was taking place they would have warned people. Personally I think someone needs to go to jail over this.

Thoughts?

Health Impacts of Lead Poisoning, A preliminary listing of the health effects & symptoms of lead poisoning

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of residents in Flint and the surrounding areas were saying this was a bad idea before they even switched to the Flint River water.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's something interesting I came across. Could salting our roads be corroding water pipes across the country causing lead contamination. I've never thought of it before but could they be right.

Could Road Salt Cause Lead Poisoning?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Flint = total disaster and yeah the salt added a lot more lead to the water. I totally dont get how they could ignore what was happening for 2 whole years and they dont need the salt on the roads. Here the road crews use sand on the ice for traction. It works and it doesnt destroy plants or pipes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That was totally disgusting. They knew that water was poison. The people that used this water will have problems for the rest of their lives especially children. It will cost billions to do something about those pipes, might be cheaper to abandon the city, and to take care of people that have been permanently damaged by it. People need to go to jail over this.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Flint water crisis: Michigan governor's advisers warned months before disclosure
Nearly a year before Michigan governor Rick Snyder publicly admitted his knowledge of the city of Flint’s lead-contaminated water crisis, advisers in his office had advocated moving Flint back to its prior drinking water source “before this thing gets too far out of control”, newly released emails reveal.

And nearly seven months before Snyder’s announcement in October 2015, his former chief of staff had internally proposed purchasing bottled water for Flint’s residents – even as the governor’s administration publicly rebuffed any characterization that Flint’s water wasn’t safe to drink.
These people need to be held criminally responsible for this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree, they shouldn't be let off the hook. Now we have who knows how many people, kids especially, that will have problems the rest of their life because of it or even early death.

Do you ever wonder who else is drinking contaminated water?