Flashing Lights

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Should all cops obey traffic laws like an ordinary citizen if they are not responding to an emergency?

I seen this happen a few times where a cop would just go through a red light by turning on their lights and once they go through it, they turn off their lights. I think that they should not be able to do that. If it's alright for them to go through red lights, then I should be able to do that but of course I would get a ticket because they have a higher authority than me.

Last edited:

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I don't think there's really much of another side to this. If anyone has anything for, I'd like to hear it. As of right now, I agree with you 100 percent. They are no higher, or at least shouldn't be, above the law than we are. They're still citizens.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Not being an American, I'm not fully informed on this, but: if it's an emergency then surely as the EMERGENCY SERVICES they have every right to go through red lights. Imagine if it turned out to be your house they were going to. Wouldn't you be happy for them to have run that red light? If it's an emergency then all's well that ends well.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
Chaos: When a cop turns on his lights, he has the right to go through red lights. That is okay when he is going to an actual emergency. What Dragon is saying is when they turn on their lights just to be able to go through the light then turn them off.
At least, I think so.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
If they have flashing lights, they have every right to go through red and cut through traffic, but if they go through red without any needed emergency assistance, they should abide the law like any other citizen out there.

I wonder if some cops just switch on their lights to avoid heavy traffic.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
They do, Aleks. haha. Its ridiculous, but I was a member of a firehouse and cops would come down to the bar while we were having a meeting. Sometimes they'd joke about it.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Chaos: When a cop turns on his lights, he has the right to go through red lights. That is okay when he is going to an actual emergency. What Dragon is saying is when they turn on their lights just to be able to go through the light then turn them off.
At least, I think so.
OH, like on Superbad? :lol: I guess I misunderstood. Like I said though - if it's not an emergency and they're just doing it to make it easier to get through the lights, then hell no, they shouldn't do it. It should be emergency only.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I know from working EMS in MD that a lot of times cops will do that if they are responding to something that is not life threatening, but is urgent.

They will high tail it for armed robberies, burglaries, MVA's and domestics... most everything else they will do what you mentioned. I.e. arriving after a crime has been committed and other officers are already on the scene. There is no need to high tail it, but they sorta need to get there, so they will go thru lights and what not.

And just FYI not all cops do that either. I see cops all the time sitting at red lights.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I cannot stand that, you'll see cops not having their lights on before a red light, then there's a red light so they decide put them on, when they cross the intersection they turn them off again. It makes me furious, if they aren't being called or anything of that nature, they should wait like the others. A lot of cops around here do this type of stuff.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Should all cops obey traffic laws like an ordinary citizen if they are not responding to an emergency?
Yes. If it's not an emergency, then they should obey traffic laws. They should be the role models to ordinary citizens not breakers.