Flash vs. CSS/DHTML

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Reverend, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Reverend

Reverend Registered Member

Well, now that this forum is in the right category (thanks Andrew! :)), I would love to have a discussion about the use of Adobe/Macromedia Flash vs. CSS and DHTML.

I've been using Flash since before CSS really existed and Flash was still known as FutureSplash and only had simplistic button actions to control animation.

When CSS arrived on the scene, it seemed like a great idea, but it wasn't very universally supported in browsers. As far as I can tell, it still has its little quirks in differing browsers, so I still use Flash to do a lot of my dynamic and interactive web work. Since the Flash Player is installed in about 98% of the world's browsers, this seems like a good choice to me.

Besides - I'm good at Flash, and horrible at CSS :rolleyes:

Can anyone give me reasons why I might want to use CSS instead of Flash? Can you think of scenarios where CSS is easier to write (that still functions in all the main browsers), or has functionality that can't be done in Flash? Just curious...

Pete

2. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

Flash is on most browser, but it still has to be downloaded in order for the actionscripting to be read properly.

CSS is already setup to be read by the browser. It is true that different browsers read CSS differently but they do not need to download anything in order for it to be read.

3. Jag1

Jag1 Registered Member

Can browsers use anything else besides Flash? I've seen most browsers using Flash, but it sometimes gives me errors so is there an alternative?

4. Reverend

Reverend Registered Member

Hmmm, what kind of errors? You might need to upgrade to a newer Flash Player at Adobe.com.

And Snipes, yeah, I guess that is a downside - where even if you HAVE a Flash Player (and pretty much every system comes with it), you might have to download an update. But it seems to be so much more consistent across all the browsers than CSS is.

Pete

5. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

Your right it is more consistent across browsers, because the flash program is running the flash, not the browser running it. With CSS, the browser interprets the CSS and displays it the way it has been setup to display, but with flash, the flash program displays it the way the flash program has been setup and it is more consistent because one company writes the way that flash should be displayed, whereas each indididual company that writes browsers, figures out how the CSS should be displayed.