Flag

Iris

rainbow 11!
I can't remember where, but I read about how people were not standing up in school when they did the Pledge of Alleigence. I did it everday but that was only because I was scared of getting trouble. Well, after reading that, I started to not stand up. This has been going on for a month now and my Latin teacher noticed it today. She asked me to stand up and respect the flag. I pretended to not hear her and finished the work we were doing. When it was over, I pretended that I just realized she said something to me and she just shook her head slowly.

Now, I respect her a lot. She was there for me when I blacked out in Greece, she held my hair as I threw up in the bathroom. Do you think that teens should be forced to stand up everyday? Is it violating our rights? Can the school enforce this?

I want to know everyone's opinions on this.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
I don't believe you should be forced, but I do think that out of respect for the men and women who have given their lives to defend the flag you should do it. They deserve your respect, and I believe you dishonor their memories if you refuse.

Hoosier.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I stand, but for pretty much the reasons Hoosier already stated. I may not like our government or it's people at times, but I still appreciate the men that died and still fight for this country, that's why I stand.

I suppose you don't have to stand, that you may believe that you can respect the soldiers and those that don't really represent the politics of the nation, but it's still a bit disrespectful. The teacher has no ability to tell you not to stand, but you should consider those Hoosier and I mentioned.

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
You shouldn't have to force anyone. At the same time people should want to, not because of the people running this government, but for the soldiers who fought for what this country stands for. I cannot add anything to what Hoosier and Merc have already said as I agree with them body.

I guess if I had to say 1 things, its that a lot of people in this country don't have any respect for the people who fought and who died to make sure they could be free and to free other nations from tyrany.

D

Ds136

If you don't want to stand or show your respect thats your choice. However why would you not want to stand and show your respect? Do you have an actual reason on why, or do you just not care? Is it too much of an inconvience to you to stand up for a minute and show respect for the people that fight and give their lives so that you can live yours?

I

IntheNet

I echo Hoosier's point that out of respect to the Servicemen and Service women that have died defending the flag, everyone should stand in respect when it is honored. Those that don't stand for some reason and don't give our nation's flag due respect should consider leaving this nation, especially now during our war.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
I was with you up to the 'leave this nation' portion of your post. I don't understand why you continue to advocate stepping on an individuals freedoms, Net. In one breath to talk about honoring the memories of those fallen in combat, and then in the next you dishonor the very thing they died trying to defend. I can almost see the 'Love Her or Leave Her' bumber sticker on the back of your rusty pickup truck, complete with gun rack and Confederate flag license plate when I read your posts.

Preach on, Brother Net!

Hoosier.

Iris

rainbow 11!
It's not that I am trying to disrespect them. I just don't feel like making a false pledge everyday. If I am going to pledge to something, I want to me mean it. I am very grateful for what they have done for this country. Hell, my dad is in the Navy so I understand it more than others at times.

I don't like how they mention God in the pledge. I'm not going to say anything about it and make a big deal about it. I just won't stand. That's my choice. For all we know, he may not be real. So why pledge to one nation under God?

D

Ds136

Himeko Kurusugawa said:
It's not that I am trying to disrespect them. I just don't feel like making a false pledge everyday. If I am going to pledge to something, I want to me mean it. I am very grateful for what they have done for this country. Hell, my dad is in the Navy so I understand it more than others at times.

I don't like how they mention God in the pledge. I'm not going to say anything about it and make a big deal about it. I just won't stand. That's my choice. For all we know, he may not be real. So why pledge to one nation under God?
whoa whoa thats a completely different discussion there.

Standing and showing respect is completely different than pledging one nation under god. You can stand and not saying anything, or you can leave that part out if you don't want it to represent you.

However instead you rather sit at your desk and ignore the whole ordeal, which is just disrespectful. If you want to argue the fact that they mention god in the pledge, then don't just sit there and listen to it or ignore it. Walk out whenever the class says it if your so against it.