• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Five scary visitors in the night

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
After reading what other cultures have visiting on Christmas eve night I'll stick with the jolly fat guy. These visitors would give a kid nightmares if they slept at all. I wouldn't tell a kid a story like this, would you? Have you ever been told stories like these?

Gryla is one of many female trolls who live high up in the mountains of Iceland.

Her story goes back to pagan times, but in more recent centuries she has become part of Christmas - making the trip down to the towns and cities, searching for naughty children.

She returns to her cave with a bag stuffed full of crying youngsters, whom she boils alive and gobbles up

Bogeymen: Five scary visitors in the night

Pixel

I used to convince myself of things at night :D I'm talking when I was about 2-3 years old.

There's only 2 I can remember, but I know I made up a lot of stuff. The first one was some weird ogre thing that would eat me. Thinking of that always made me cry, so I made up a monster that would eat little kids that were crying. I always stopped crying after that :)

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
El Cuco, or El Cucuy as we called him wasn't something that came about during Christmas time however. El Cucuy is the Spanish version of the bogeyman and was something parents used to scare their kids into behaving or going to sleep at night. I'm not sure the article is trying to say that's what Hispanic cultures believe visits children on Christmas but the author did mention Father Christmas vising children at night and I think the more appropriate comparison would be the bogeyman.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Glad you added that, some of these articles can be misleading and those of us that don't know any better have a tendency to believe them. It would seem strange that a christmas visitor would be akin to the bogyman.

Bliss

Sally Twit
You may think he's jolly, but I was scared of Santa as a child.
I have a memory of really needing the toilet in the middle of the night when I was a kid. I was afraid to go because my parents told me if I was awake late on Christmas Eve, Santa would be mad at me. I had to hold it in because I was frightened he'd be at the bottom of the stairs.