Five off-the-ice issues to watch this NHL season

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Turbo, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NHL Hockey stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NHL Hockey columnists

i think this brings up a lot of key issues regarding the immediate future of the NHL and is a great discussion waiting to happen.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I like this one.... I want to see a Club in Vegas to be honest. It'd be huge for the NHL. Big time money pit over there.

3. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

If there was expansion it would need to be Vegas and another city in order to stay at an even number of teams.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think it would be great if the NHL expanded in the NHL, I personally believe it would work really well. I don't think the NHL is ready to expand in Europe as of yet. Maybe in five years from now.

5. padd

padd Registered Member

teams dont have to be even, we can work something out with 31 teams. No point in gaining in 1 expansion town just to loose in another.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

true padd, but it'd screw up the conferences and divisions to just add 1 new team.

7. padd

padd Registered Member

yeah, ]something like this would work;

Eastern Final playoff spots
    7.Tampa Bay- 91
    8.Toronto- 90
    --------------------
    9.Wasington- 88

Western Final playoff spots
    7.Calgary- 93
    8.Vancouver- 92
    -----------------------
    9.Las Vegas- 91

in this case Las Vegas would snatch the final playoff spot of the Eastern confrence, and Toronto would miss the playoffs, since the West has more teams it's only fair. Although don't be confused now, let's say the 10th place team in the West has more points than the 7th place team of the east, that DOES NOT MEAN that he can steal another spot.. no no no. ONLY THE FINAL (16th in the league) PLAYOFF SPOT is up for grabs between the two confrences...

they do that in the CFL anyways, since it's a small league, confrences can cross over to the final playoff spots.