Fisherman Reels in live Missile

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
YouTube - Fisherman Reels in Live Military Missile

CLEARWATER, Fla., June 9 (UPI) -- A Florida fisherman said an 8-foot-long missile that became ensnared in his long line while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico was turned over to authorities.

Solomon Rodney, 37, said he assumed the missile was inactive or already exploded because of a hole in its side so it rode atop his boat for 10 days before he returned to shore and turned it over to a bomb squad from MacDill Air Force Base, the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times reported Tuesday.

Rodney said he was surprised to hear the missile was live.

Fisherman reels in live missile - UPI.com
You know whats funny though is I would have done the same thing he did. Most definitely I would have stuck it up on my wall or something, lol taken a drill and made holes in it to hang from the ceiling. Its crazy that they needed a bomb squad to "disarm it". I mean wow that would have been an epic mistake had it actually exploded.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow! This type of stuff doesn't have happen everyday. I personally don't know what I would do if I ever went fishing a caught a live missile like he did. But I know I would be shocked, thats for sure.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
He could have caught a lot more fish with that :lol:
LMFAO... you are so right its not even funny :hah:

had that sucker gone off while he was reeling it up... oh man he could have had a ton of fish to pick from hahaha.

But then..... do you think he'd have gotten in trouble for "dynamite fishing" :hah: its illegal in most states, knowing Florida though it probably isnt hahahaha.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I think they still discover bombs (active) from the previous wars in here. I think the last time was not so long ago, just a few years and they showed how the bomb squad had to intervene and succesfully disarm it. But imagine if kids see it and they think it's a toy? Although I'm not sure how fragile these things are.

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I wonder what era that bomb was from. I can't believe he had that missile on his boat and thank goodness it didn't explode! If I reel in something like that, I would drop my rod right away and run like crazy.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I wonder what era that bomb was from. I can't believe he had that missile on his boat and thank goodness it didn't explode! If I reel in something like that, I would drop my rod right away and run like crazy.
The article was saying that area of the Atlantic is prime "practice" ground for the USAF... that it could have just been a test from recent, especially considering how modern looking it is.... I'd say it couldnt be any older than the 80's to be honest.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think they still discover bombs (active) from the previous wars in here. I think the last time was not so long ago, just a few years and they showed how the bomb squad had to intervene and succesfully disarm it. But imagine if kids see it and they think it's a toy? Although I'm not sure how fragile these things are.
Any kid who thinks an 8 foot long missile is toy has something weird going on.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Wow, he's a lucky guy, now we all know what to do if we ever find a missile :lol:

That's a really cool thing to find when you're fishing.

Too bad he had to give it up, I probably would have wanted to keep it after it was disarmed.