• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fish Hobbyist

Dragon

V.I.P.
Probably a strange hobby but I like aquarium fish. I keep mostly african cichlids but I won't get into the scientific names because I don't want to get anyone confused. My brother and I have a fish room down in the basement. We are hoping to start up our own business someday.

kromsales

Registered Member
Dragon said:
Probably a strange hobby but I like aquarium fish. I keep mostly african cichlids but I won't get into the scientific names because I don't want to get anyone confused. My brother and I have a fish room down in the basement. We are hoping to start up our own business someday.
Hey maybe you can help me then!! I have an aquarium and the algea gets terrible in it :( Its not in direct sunlight. I do regular 50% water changes, add algea tabs, have sucker fish. But still its terrible. Any suggestions?

kromsales

Registered Member
Dragon said:
How often do you leave the light on? If you leave it on all the time, I would probably try to cut down on it.
I always turn it out at bedtime. Well the kids do LOL But its usually out around 9pm till 7am. Maybe it needs off longer?

member145

Registered Member
there are some good sites to learn how to keep your tanks nice. Is it a reef tank or just a fish tank?

your lights should only be on for the normal cycle of what the sun would be out for.

kromsales

Registered Member
hmm dont know got it from wally world LOL

SamusAran86

Registered Member
well if its one of there "cheapies" I would suggest getting a different one... best bet is to go to a "pet store" like Petco or Petsmart... they have a wide variety of filters.. the one you are useing sounds like its not pulling its weight

LicentiousVenus

Registered Member
do you have a bunch of goldfish? they make huge messes.

Mina

Registered Member
Goldfish are just nasty... I used to have a bunch of feeder fish in a 50 gal tank...It's just amazing how big those guys can get.

Fish are gone now, leaving me with 1 gecko, 4 cats, and 2 dogs ( do I count the bugs I have to feed to the gecko??? )