Fish Hobbyist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragon, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Probably a strange hobby but I like aquarium fish. I keep mostly african cichlids but I won't get into the scientific names because I don't want to get anyone confused. My brother and I have a fish room down in the basement. We are hoping to start up our own business someday.

2. kromsales

kromsales Registered Member

Hey maybe you can help me then!! I have an aquarium and the algea gets terrible in it :( Its not in direct sunlight. I do regular 50% water changes, add algea tabs, have sucker fish. But still its terrible. Any suggestions?

3. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

How often do you leave the light on? If you leave it on all the time, I would probably try to cut down on it.

4. kromsales

I always turn it out at bedtime. Well the kids do LOL But its usually out around 9pm till 7am. Maybe it needs off longer?

5. member145

member145 Registered Member

there are some good sites to learn how to keep your tanks nice. Is it a reef tank or just a fish tank?

your lights should only be on for the normal cycle of what the sun would be out for.

6. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

kromsales,

What kinda filter are you useing?

7. kromsales

hmm dont know got it from wally world LOL

8. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

well if its one of there "cheapies" I would suggest getting a different one... best bet is to go to a "pet store" like Petco or Petsmart... they have a wide variety of filters.. the one you are useing sounds like its not pulling its weight

9. LicentiousVenus

LicentiousVenus Registered Member

do you have a bunch of goldfish? they make huge messes.

10. Mina

Mina Registered Member

Goldfish are just nasty... I used to have a bunch of feeder fish in a 50 gal tank...It's just amazing how big those guys can get.

Fish are gone now, leaving me with 1 gecko, 4 cats, and 2 dogs ( do I count the bugs I have to feed to the gecko??? )