First Job Interview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raye, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Raye

Raye Registered Member

Eh, I guess this goes in here...

Anyway, first job interview on Monday for a local bookstore. Any suggestions or helpful hints for a first timer? >_>

2. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

dress nicely but comfortable.

make eye contact.

shake their hand when entering and after.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree with Turbo. Basically be professional but not over the top. Be friendly and you'll be fine. Try to answer any interview questions directly without going off onto other things. You want to say just enough to make them happy.

One thing to do is to ask what the job pays if you don't already know. If you don't ask then you'll be getting the absolute minimum for sure. Sometimes if you ask they will give you a higher number than if you didn't ask. Plus it shows that you are on top of things which is a good thing.

4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Smile.

-----------

5. Hanzo_Hattori

Hanzo_Hattori For the Horde!

Shouldn't there be a small FAQ on these things

Interviews
    Baby Care
    First AID etc dtc

??

6. Raye

Raye Registered Member

Thanks for the help ^^ I'll be rereading all this before I go xD

About pay, my friend said that I should tell them I'm "open for discussion." It sounded a bit...I don't know, aloof or something, to me. I mean, this would be my first job. I don't really think I'm in a position to negotiate a higher pay.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

No you aren't really. That's why it's usually best to just ask what it starts at. You don't want to say you are "Open for discussion", which makes them think that somehow you think you are worth more even though it's your first job. Asking flat out is the best thing in my opinion. Down the road you can negotiate but it's not worth bothering with for your first job ever.

8. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

also ask if there's a dress code....that way you don't misjudge and show up unappropriately dressed and get reemed for no reason

9. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I think everyone has pretty much covered everything, good luck!

10. Raye

Raye Registered Member

Yeah, thanks for all the replies guys ^_^ Feel a bit more confident...now it just has to last until Monday xD I'll post the results of how it went here ;D cause i know you're all just soooo interested in my life lol