First Commercially Cloned Dog Delivered

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Kazmarov, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Family Dog Cloned Thanks to Dolly Patents | Intellectual Property Law | IPWatchdog.com

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

This will be interesting to check in on in a few years. I'd like to know if the dog's personality was the same as the "host" dog.

The article didn't say how much this process costs? Do you have any clue?

I imagine the cost would be astronomical given the novelty and the fact that this process is still very new. It might end up being cost effective but right now I bet it's definitely not worth it from a financial standpoint.

3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Roughly 50,000$, which given some people's attachment to pets (and the fact that this dog will probably live at least ten years), isn't that horrible.

Obviously the personality will in some ways stay fundamentally the same (as that's mostly genetic), however the details will be environmental.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

This pet cloning reminds me of Sixth Day. I just discovered they successfully cloned a cat years ago (2004). The cat is still alive and healthy and the owner also paid 50k for it. I wonder which animal they're going to clone next. For some reason, this makes me think we might not be far from human cloning after all. It's probably because dogs are closely associated with men (not bio make up but their relationship).

5. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Remember Dolly died of premature ageing.
    I wouldn't like to see humans cloned. Just think the 'people' they'd have to test on. I am reminded of the film 'The fly' and what a painfull life the mutant dog had, and they kept it alive to observe it. I am sure many an animal suffered to become a clone. Will humans be different, and will they suffer? If the human suffers, will he or she be put-down like an animal?

6. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

The news report I watched said it was 155k.

7. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this, I think it was called "Re-pet" in that film. It's very fascinating stuff that raises a whole lot of philosophical issues about identity (The actual process that is going on, not the film). The day this gets applied to us is when things will get really messy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Ugh, that was the most disturbing part of that movie. Fly 2 was the one with the dog. I love retrievers, and they messed that one up hardcore. At least at the end of the movie, they had that wierd dude guy coming out of the hatch to eat the food lol.

Its sort of neat, this whole dog cloning thing. In the respect that if you lose your dog, just replace it with a clone and its the same dog. However, I myself would never do that. If you get attached to a dog, replacing it with a look alike just isn't the same.