• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Firework Safety

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I knew a kid once who now has no thumb or index finger on his right hand due to a fireworks accident. He also thought it was pretty cool at the time and seemed to have no problems showing off his new hand...

Me on the other hand, I like having fingers and I don't really do much when it comes to fireworks. I don't like the risk involved and really they aren't all that fun.

Psyco

Food Whore
I've heard all sorts of stories about people blowing off body parts with ashcans, m80s, etc.

If i remember correctly, a kid that went to my grammar school screwed his hand up with some fireworks. Which he stupidly lit in his house.

I have lived in a relatively safe area, and haven't been exposed to fireworks... *cry*

dDave

V.I.P.
I have heard way too many stories about people losing their eyes, hands, fingers, and in some cases most of their face, to ever go near fireworks, they are illegal anyways I don't know why people shoot them off all the time around the fourth of July, or Independence Day. There are plenty of fun things to do that don't involve the danger of losing a body part. I have never shot off a firework and probably never will, that's just the way I was raised.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
Well when I was younger, that was the cool thing to do. Shoot off fireworks and hope that you didn't get hurt. Or start a bottle rocket war until somebody got hurt. Don't do it anymore, plus they are illegal within the city limits anyway. But I don't even go see them around the 4th and I live close enough to walk where I can see them.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It always happens, though, some kid blows his hand apart with a firecracker and America implodes on the fireworks; not paying attention to the fact that the parents bought it for them, didn't teach them safety, or were just plain incompetent.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That may be true Steve, but don't forget that some "duds" do blow up on the ground, or malfunction in unexpected ways. Sometimes an injury can't be avoided, in the right (I guess wrong) circumstances. I would be interested to know what age group is primarily effected by firework related injuries. I'd be willing to bet that it's mostly people in their teens and younger who's parents don't teach them how to be safe.

Gwiz

Registered Member
Safety is really important. Heard many stories about kids losing their fingers or even their hands over the improper use of fireworks, especially during the fourth of July. I don't have a problem with them having a good time but be safe at all times.

dDave

V.I.P.
There is no way to be safe with fireworks until you are lighting them from a decent distance. When I was little I always remember my older brother prompting my parents to run over the fireworks that people were setting off in the street, I think that we might have done it once but I'm not sure.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Wow, that's actually a pretty stupid thing to do. There's a gas tank under there, ya know.

Andrew, I was referring to adolescents and younger, and I know that there are "duds" that can cause injuries. I figured they were implied, though.