• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Software Firefox in Trouble

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have just seen this news story of OKCupid asking users who go onto their website via the Browser Firefox to not use the browser:

OKCupid seeks to block Mozilla Firefox over gay rights

Dating website OKCupid has sought to deter users from accessing its site via browser Mozilla Firefox.

The site says the move was in response to new Mozilla chief executive Brendan Eich's previous opposition to gay marriage in the US state of California.

Users are directed to use other internet browsers, such as Chrome.

Mozilla said OKCupid had not contacted it to confirm facts, and that: "Mozilla supports equality for all, including marriage equality for LGBT couples."

Read more
Now I am not sure what to feel about this. I am and always have been a supporter of Mozilla Firefox and I wonder if I should let the opinion of the owner on his beliefs should deter me or if it matters, personally it will not, me waking up and seeing this information does not change my opinion on a product I use and I don't think it should. Whether we like it or not everyone has the right to an opinion however one line that did annoy me was this:

Mozilla's head of education, Christie Koehler, who is gay, wrote on her blog: "It's hard for me to think of a scenario where someone could donate to that campaign without feeling that queer folks are less deserving of basic rights."
Why use the word queer? Why not say gay? Between asked what the best word to use in this scenario was be it gay, queer or faggot etc I would say "queer" is the worst because this just screams to me someone who wants to say "faggot" but cannot. But that's just my view.

dDave

V.I.P.
If many conservative people could get past the politics of Steve Jobs then I see no reason why supporters of gay marriage can't get over the politics of a much more minor personality, that being the owner of Mozilla.

me waking up and seeing this information does not change my opinion on a product I use and I don't think it should
Absolutely right.

I still don't see why gay marriage is the one major issue that a lot of people focus on. There are many other issues that are just as equally, if not more, important and they are basically ignored by a large percentage of the people that support the gay rights movement.

Let me put this into perspective. I use Google Chrome, Gmail, YouTube, and G+.

If I can get over the fact that Google donates to many liberal causes that I strongly disagree with then people can get over the views of the owner of Firefox. I don't use Google stuff because of their political views, I use their stuff because I like the way it's designed.

I see this as an overreaction by OKCupid.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have no problem with gay marriage but so what Brendan Eich is opposed to it, people have a right to their own opinion. Its not going to change what I use and if I were interested in dating sites I just wouldn't use theirs if it was giving me problems over using Firefox.

I wonder what OKCupid will do if people that are opposed to same sex marriage decide to stop using them. This could backfire on them.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I see this as an overreaction by OKCupid.
Why? They're a dating website and they allow gay people, of course they'd have a reason to be upset especially since most of their users are financially supporting a man who in turn is taking his revenue to support causes they do not. I think they simply want to make a splash in defense of gay people. I admit, I am reluctant to give my money and time to companies that hold views against my own. Target for example, I try not to shop there for the same reason. I don't want my money potentially going to a cause I would never support.

Clare

Registered Member
Good points have been made for both sides here. I can understand why the website has done this, but I think it's really up to the individual and whether they mind about the views of a product owner. Personally, if I did use Firefox I don't think I would stop using it because of the CEO's view, even though I disagree with him. At the end of the day though it says that you can just click past the message to access the site, so I don't really see the problem here. Those who don't mind can still access the site and those who do mind can be informed and use another browser.

Why use the word queer? Why not say gay? Between asked what the best word to use in this scenario was be it gay, queer or faggot etc I would say "queer" is the worst because this just screams to me someone who wants to say "faggot" but cannot. But that's just my view.
My interpretation of this is quite different, if I've understood your post correctly. I wouldn't have assumed she was being derogatory here... I mean, she is gay herself, and she's for gay marriage rights. I wouldn't put the word faggot into her mouth when that's not what she said, I'd just assume she likes the word 'queer' over 'gay'.

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
My interpretation of this is quite different, if I've understood your post correctly. I wouldn't have assumed she was being derogatory here... I mean, she is gay herself, and she's for gay marriage rights. I wouldn't put the word faggot into her mouth when that's not what she said, I'd just assume she likes the word 'queer' over 'gay'.
I understand what you are saying but it just seems to me that "queer" is used in a reaction to someone who cannot almost bring themselves to use the word "gay", like saying gay is almost a dirty word.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Everybody has a right to their opinion and Eich, like everyone else, is no exception. Those that run OKCupid also have a right to boycott Firefox if they wish for whatever reasons they wish. It's the free market. Since Eich has stepped down because of this I can choose then to delete Firefox from my computer if I want to. We all have rights and freedoms and along with those rights and freedoms come consequences.

This reminds me of the Dixie Chicks uproar when they said what they said overseas and after people were burning their CD's and radio stations were boycotting their music they posed on a magazine cover naked with phrases like "Freedom of Speech" and other such nonsense. I say nonsense because nobody is stopping them from saying whatever they want, but if I own a radio station I can play or not play whatever I want. What they said came with consequences.

Same here. Eich has the freedom to say or support whatever he wants, but with that freedom comes consequences. OKCupid has chosen to boycott Firefox and because of the pressure he resigned. Now I have the choice in continuing to use Firefox if I disagree with him leaving because of this.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
He did not admit it but...

Mozilla boss Brendan Eich resigns after gay marriage storm

The chief executive of Mozilla - the company best known for its Firefox browser - has stepped down.

Brendan Eich was appointed just last month but came in for heavy criticism for his views on same-sex marriage.

Mozilla's executive chairwoman Mitchell Baker announced the decision in a blog post.

"Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn't live up to it," she wrote.

"We know why people are hurt and angry, and they are right: it's because we haven't stayed true to ourselves.

"We didn't act like you'd expect Mozilla to act. We didn't move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We're sorry. We must do better."

Source: BBC News
Further thoughts on this?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I think it was unfair to force him out of his position based on a simple political view. Do I think he was right by giving money against gay marriage? Nope. His personal donation wasn't done with company money so he isn't saying that the company is against gay marriage by making a personal donation. It was only $1000. The man is probably worth millions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IrishLass2247 Technology 6
EllyDicious Technology 1
sunrise Ideas & Support 3
IKnowKungRoo Ideas & Support 0
Wade8813 Ideas & Support 2