Fire

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Plantation_Boy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Plantation_Boy

Plantation_Boy Registered Member

Okay, a while back one of my teachers was talking about fire. The class and her were debating weather or not fire was alive...

She told us about the things that life requires (or something like that) and,

Fire grows and can die and i personally believe that fire could be classified as a lifeform,

What are your oppinions.

2. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Umm, no. Fire is not conscious. It does not reproduce. It is a relatively simple chemical reaction.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, chemical reactions often times include things such as bacteria that is alive..

Fire on the other hand I see no reason to think it's "alive". It can consume things and it requires oxygen to exist but not as a life form.

4. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

It cant move of its own free will (a requirement I think, which is why theres a whole plant debate) and it dosent reproduce (lol)

5. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Yes, and technically the human body is just a very large collection of chemical reactions, but come on now.

6. soot

soot Registered Member

Fire is a chemical reaction. It isn't a life form.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Poetic in notion, it may be, but it's not something that can even be considered a life form.

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Wait... how is life not a chemical reaction? Also, how do we know that fire's not conscious? It's about as likely to be as bacteria are. The main reason we do not consider fire to be alive, I would imagine, is that it is not a cell or collection thereof, and does not have DNA. There is no vital force that animates and unifies living things, but rather just a bunch of odd physical characteristics.

9. Plantation_Boy

Plantation_Boy Registered Member

Exactly we have no way of knowing as of yet whether fir is conscious and i think that the fire spreading could be reproduction and it does move but we dont know if its conscious...

I guess theres no way of knowing...:-/

10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, considering the fact that a match or lighter can create fire at any given time, it makes perfect sense that it is simply a chemical reaction.

It's not a life form by any means.