• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fingerprint scanner hacked after just 2 days

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It took just two days and a small collection of everyday household items for a group of German hackers to bypass the fingerprint sensor on an Apple iPhone 5S.

Chaos Computer Club, based in Berlin, took a high-resolution photograph of a fingerprint from the side of a glass.

They then scanned it, before laser printing it onto a transparent sheet and covering it in woodglue. Once the glue had dried, they peeled off the print copy and pressed it on the scanner.

Apple's iPhone 5S fingerprint scanner hacked after just TWO days | Mail Online
Apples iPhone only held up for two days against hackers. Don't think their security was as good as they thought. I'm really not surprised by this, our electronics aren't that secure so don't be putting important information on it because if someone wants it if they are a talented hacker looks like they can get it.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I've known about this method of bypassing fingerprint scanners for a few years now, and it makes me wonder why anyone would want to use a fingerprint as a method of security. With a password, or a card, you can change what password or card data will be accepted. But with a fingerprint scanner, once someone copies your fingerprint, you are completely unsecured, and you may as well just hand over your data to every Tom, Dick, and Harry. You can't change a fingerprint, what you get is what you're stuck with for life.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Fingerprints don't sound secure at all if its this easy to hack. I think we should stick with passwords and change them often. Maybe a password backed up with a fingerprint would work better.

danwiz

Registered Member
Hilander's idea of password and fingerprint used together sounds pretty secure, as long as you don't leave a piece of paper with your password on it tucked away inside of the case you use to carry your iPhone and as long as you change it relatively often (not your fingerprint :lol::lol: - your password!).

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
What the hell are people doing on their phones that they need fingerprint ID to log onto it?

Seriously.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
What the hell are people doing on their phones that they need fingerprint ID to log onto it?

Seriously.
It's just a fancy gimmick to sell more devices. It also allows the government to keep a record of anyone's fingerprint that tries to get on an iPhone. It's only a matter of time before that information gets subpoenaed and we hear of an arrest from it.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm sorry, but that is one of the stupidest features I have ever heard of. I definitely won't be getting it just because of that. haha

dDave

V.I.P.

Seriously.
I guess some people just hate the idea that other people could log into their phone if they had the password. I have a 4 digit passcode, that's secure enough for me.

It's just a fancy gimmick to sell more devices. It also allows the government to keep a record of anyone's fingerprint that tries to get on an iPhone. It's only a matter of time before that information gets subpoenaed and we hear of an arrest from it.
Society has proven time and time again that gimmicks like this will sell.

The government using it to steal people's fingerprints is an interesting thought. I hadn't considered that before.

I'm sorry, but that is one of the stupidest features I have ever heard of. I definitely won't be getting it just because of that. haha
I agree. I don't understand why most people have any need for it at all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Science & History 0
ysabel Travel 6
icegoat63 General Discussion 20
Pugz Breaking News 12
Clear_Note Computers 19