Finger Food Recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by kitchendame, Sep 22, 2010.

1. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

I love cooking for get-togethers, and usually have something I can fall back on to make. But sometimes I want something different, that I haven't tried before. So I'm hoping by starting this thread you might want to contribute a favorite recipe of your own. The only requirement is that you are able to pick it up and eat it with your fingers, or use it in conjunction with finger-foods (i.e. dips or spreads).

Asparagus Rollups:
    12 slices white bread, crusts cut off
    Salad Dressing (a sharp flavored one like Miracle Whip, not mayo)
    A can or two of asparagus spears (totaling 12; I never know how many is in one)
    Butter, softened to room temperature
    Parsley, finely chopped
    -- Take each slice of bread and, using a rolling pin, flatten slightly. Sparingly butter each slice of bread and then spread salad dressing on each slice. Place an asparagus spear on and roll up. Trim any asparagus off that is sticking out of the ends. Spread a little salad dressing on each end and dip in parsley. Makes a dozen (stating the obvious, I know)

My mom used to make these for company when I was a kid, so you're looking at a recipe that was popular in the 60's. But now and then I get it out and dust it off, and everyone always loves them. You can be really particular and make your own dressing and home made bread (which they're lovely with), and if you grill fresh asparagus in butter and drizzle them with lemon juice, you have something really special. But the fast, easy way seems just as popular with the crowd.

2. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

Melon-Prosciutto Wraps
    Super-easy to make, and really nice to eat.
    1 melon or cantaloupe
    1 package sliced prociutto
    --Cut melon into 1" dice. Wrap each piece with a small rectangle of prosciutto & secure with a toothpick. A wonderful summer finger-food. You can alternate green melon and cantaloupe, to add color and variety.