Finding What You Are Looking For

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Everybody has heard the U2 song "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Do you believe it's possible for people to know what they are looking for before they find it?

Do you believe it's possible to completely find what you are looking for or do you feel it's a lifelong journey, one that nobody ever truly achieves?

Do you believe deep down everybody is looking for the same thing or not?

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Do you believe it's possible for people to know what they are looking for before they find it?
Yes, some may know what it is they are searching for, but many times search in the wrong place for whatever it is, and therefore never find it.
Do you believe it's possible to completely find what you are looking for or do you feel it's a lifelong journey, one that nobody ever truly achieves?
No, only because I believe that a person is usually never content with what he has or what he achieved. Those who are an exception, can very much reach what they have been looking for at a relatively young age.
I don't think so. Not everybody, a large majority maybe, but definitely not everyone.

I believe it's possible to know what makes you happy, but that doesn't mean it's what you should be looking for. Sometimes the biggest accomplishments in life (for me at least) seemed to come about when I was walking a different path. Maybe there are a few people who do know what they are looking for, but I think I almost feel sorry for them. How sad would life be if you spent it searching for something you knew was there, but never found?

I don't think so. Life is nothing but a quest, and each achievement seems to lend itself to another goal to top that one. Think about this, if you were able to completely find whatever it is you're looking for, then what would be left? Could you truly be satisfied knowing there was nothing else to look for? No more questions to be asked and answered?

I think we all have collective minds when it comes to searching for happiness, but that's where the similiarities end. We each have a different idea of why we're here and that leaves us completely alone when it comes to what we are looking for from life.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member

Actually, I don't think I've heard that song (yes, I'm weird).

I assume you're talking about some sort of metaphysical thing people look for? Could you elaborate a bit more?

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Everytime I hear that song I can't help but think about the film, "Blown Away".

Yes, I do believe that some people know what they're looking for before they actually find it. I also believe that there is no time limit on discoveing what it is you're looking for. And no, I do not think everyone is looking for the same thing.

Viggenstien

Registered Member
I think some people have a pretty good idea of what they want in life. Whether it be love, success, or wealth, most people know what they want. Whether or not what they want is what they need or what would be good for them is a different story all together.

This question makes me think of the "life after death" aspect of religion. A religious person may be aiming for whatever their idea of life after death is. They may do what they can in life to achieve their perfect afterlife. Whether or not they get this is truly an unknown.

Looking for a certain thing in life however is different. Some people may want a family or to run a big business. They may not be as happy as they thought they would be when they get it, but they were looking for it.

Everyone wants some form of happiness. What they want to achieve said happiness is different for everyone.

Corkman

Registered Member

I believe people may consciously (not sub-consciously) know what they want before they actually realize.
It's a lifelong journey in my opinion, you're always learning more about yourself and you would never know what you want unless you had seen/heard/felt/done/tasted/etc everything in the universe, which obviously is a feat NO MAN has done. People are always finding new things they like/need.
Not at all.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Yes. I think we can know but not necessarily be able to identify it until it's there. We have standards/indicators and we know we find it when we find it.

It's possible to find what we're looking for. But I think some of us just change after we've found it and look for something else, making it seem like we've never found it.

No. Maybe the general idea but we have different interpretations. For example everyone could be looking for peace but one's definition of peace varies from another and we end up not really wanting or looking for the same thing.

Actually, I don't think I've heard that song (yes, I'm weird).

I assume you're talking about some sort of metaphysical thing people look for? Could you elaborate a bit more?
Yes you're weird but it could have been worse like...not knowing U2. :lol: Anyway, here's the song with lyrics:

YouTube - U2 Still Haven't Found (with lyrics)