• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Finding motivation? Maybe it's helpless

Elanor

Registered Member
I struggle for motivation when I am going through a low phase. In the last few months though I have been in a good place. I am losing weight (using a healthy eating plan) and doing some exercise. Now, my diet consists of mainly fruit and veg, meat, pasta, couscous and loads of other things. I control how much crap I eat every day, it is all about moderation and not feeling deprived, as that is when I give up. As for exercise, I do about 10 - 15 minutes a day, four days a week, doesn't sound a lot, but it is when you go from doing not a lot. I find it easier to do it in smaller chunks rather than all at once.

I think knowing I can do it is enough for me to keep motivated. Once you find what works then it is easier. It has taken me years to get motivated and stick with something, but now I have there will be no stopping me :) it was just finding the right way to go about it.

An important thing to remember is, that if you have a bad day there is always tomorrow. Someone I know says that if you have a bunch of flowers and one goes bad, you don't throw out the whole bunch. So if you eat too much crap, don't exercise for one day etc, you can do something about it the next day.

Oh, and for me, when setting goals, I make them small and manageable. If they are too big then I can feel over-whelmed.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you, but if I can find motivation from somewhere, anyone can :)

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
Staying motivated when you're in a funk is always difficult. There are a lot of apps for smartphones that do different reminders, but those never work for me because I'll just ignore my phone.
When my depression is acting up, I make two types of list. First I will make a list of everything I want to get done by the end of the month. (Modify time based on how much you have.) After that, I will make a list for each day. Seal them in envelopes only to be opened on that day. As long as what is done on that small daily list, then you're fine. Make sure you keep taking care of yourself; you are the first person you forget when you're down.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I found my motivation in something extremely simple: a scale.

I've lost 12 pounds so far and every time I see a bit more drop off it keeps me excited. It gets me excited knowing that it's working. My patience may not be strong when it comes to losing weight, but knowing it's happening had a huge effect on me because it can be hard to see at first.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I found my motivation in something extremely simple: a scale.
If you've had body image problems in the past, be careful with this tip. Numbers can be a daunting and ever changing thing. I have made the conscious choice not to have a scale in my apartment. If it works for you, great! If not, don't worry about the numbers. You have to work from the inside out with body images sometimes.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
If you've had body image problems in the past, be careful with this tip.
That's why I said "my motivation".

Numbers can be a daunting and ever changing thing. I have made the conscious choice not to have a scale in my apartment. If it works for you, great! If not, don't worry about the numbers. You have to work from the inside out with body images sometimes.
I can understand if someone has a documented psychological issue with numbers but to be honest, I think most people are just afraid of what they'll see. I think there's a fair number of people who need to see those things in order to change. It's supposed to bother you on some level, because you let yourself get there. That initial shock may be a bummer, but it's your enemy to defeat.

I think a lot of people also do not understand how your weight fluctuates as you mentioned. But if it helps to not have a scale, so be it. I simply find it counterproductive.

dDave

V.I.P.
On the subject of weight loss. I know someone that didn't step on a scale for several months while she worked out a lot and committed to eating right. She had major self image issues and apparently seeing the numbers on the scale wasn't healthy for her. Anyway, she lost like 45 pounds so it worked.