• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Finding motivation? Maybe it's helpless

Alph0x

Registered Member
I'm edging closer to 30 and maybe it's giving me a complex, but I feel like I just recently looked in the mirror for the first time ever and I am shocked and saddened. I don't feel like I'm as out of shape as I look, and that really messes with my head. I know I'm overweight. I can still walk from my car to the store without any discomfort or wheezing or anything. Sometimes, I even jog. Just the other day, I was running around the bases at a field near my house, just for fun. (I'm explaining all of this because I need to vent, and also to give an idea of where I'm at, fitness level wise.)

I want to feel good. My problem is that I don't know how to set goals and stick to them. I don't know how to set goals I will actually care about. So often, it's so easy for me to just say "meh I don't care anyway". Part of my problem is depression (currently unmedicated because I was without insurance for a few months, but it's on my list of things to do soon).

Low carb diets work for me, when I can stick to them. Last time, I was actually successful for a few months. I was losing weight, seeing physical changes in myself, and I felt like a superhuman. So, I'm trying to start that back up. It is hard because I get those sugar cravings, and I honestly forget that I am trying to count my carbs until I've just bitten into that crap food. How do you beat that? How do you sit down and turn off the autopilot?

Some days, I feel frustrated enough that I feel driven to work hard. Remembering how I felt when I was eating better helps. Some days, though, it's like the depression kicks in and I can't feel motivated to do anything, and it's so easy to just say "it won't matter anyway. I'll never make it to where I want to be." and I KNOW that that attitude is exactly why I wouldn't make it.

How do you stay motivated and driven when you're dealing with depression?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think we have all been there done that. Its hard to get motivated even though we know what we need to do. I was exercising regularly but stopped about 6 months ago and can't seem to get motivated to start again. I go for hikes and stuff like that but I was using a bowflex.

I wish I had some great motivational advice but I don't. Just have to decide you want to and do it.

If you are having problems with depression you shouldn't cut out too many carbs because it can cause depression.

A Low Carbohydrate Diet May Cause Low Mood

Alph0x

Registered Member
I think we have all been there done that. Its hard to get motivated even though we know what we need to do. I was exercising regularly but stopped about 6 months ago and can't seem to get motivated to start again. I go for hikes and stuff like that but I was using a bowflex.

I wish I had some great motivational advice but I don't. Just have to decide you want to and do it.

If you are having problems with depression you shouldn't cut out too many carbs because it can cause depression.

A Low Carbohydrate Diet May Cause Low*Mood
I am definitely going to check that link out because everything else I read about it said that, aside from the first few days/weeks (your "withdrawal" from sugar and carbs period), your mood would improve and you would feel much better. That seemed to be how it worked for me last time, but I was also on my medication that time. Maybe that's my biggest problem right now.

I've always thought that making the decision was the hardest part and once you made that initial decision to change, it was just like falling into place. Boy how wrong I was!

I hope you find the motivation, too. My friend wants me to get into CrossFit, but I'm afraid my overall fitness level isn't high enough for that right now. =/

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
What I've found to be really helpful, is to take a day every now and then just to let myself be unmotivated. Usually on the weekend. I'll just decline invites out to places and sit around at home, and just lay about being lazy. That way, when it comes time and I need to be active, I've gotten some of depression vented already. Doesn't always work, but I find it helps.

Alph0x

Registered Member
What I've found to be really helpful, is to take a day every now and then just to let myself be unmotivated. Usually on the weekend. I'll just decline invites out to places and sit around at home, and just lay about being lazy. That way, when it comes time and I need to be active, I've gotten some of depression vented already. Doesn't always work, but I find it helps.
Maybe that's what I need to do. Schedule an indulgence day for myself. I try to do that occasionally, but then life happens and we always end up going out and doing something. Husband and I will say "Alright, we don't have anything scheduled for this weekend, we are going to stay home and do absolutely nothing", and then when the weekend rolls around we always find something to go get into. It's ridiculous really.

To me, the idea of going to a hotel room, leaving my phone at home, and doing nothing but laying in bed, watching crap tv, maybe reading, and just enjoying my time by myself, sounds absolutely amazing. Too bad hotels are so expensive.

dDave

V.I.P.
Venting depression like that doesn't work for everyone (I know it doesn't work for me like that) it's worth a shot though.

Your goal can literally be just to work out a few times a week. As you get more comfortable with that you can make goals for weight, reps, distance, time, etc.

I don't do any lifting but I'm running and doing stuff in my feet pretty regularly.

After working out I actually feel better than I did before. It's like this every time and it's the strangest thing.

If you need help with motivation and specific stuff about exercise then just know there are some knowledgeable people around here that can help. (Including myself)

Alph0x

Registered Member
Venting depression like that doesn't work for everyone (I know it doesn't work for me like that) it's worth a shot though.

Your goal can literally be just to work out a few times a week. As you get more comfortable with that you can make goals for weight, reps, distance, time, etc.

I don't do any lifting but I'm running and doing stuff in my feet pretty regularly.

After working out I actually feel better than I did before. It's like this every time and it's the strangest thing.

If you need help with motivation and specific stuff about exercise then just know there are some knowledgeable people around here that can help. (Including myself)
Thank you! Maybe I will start with a goal of exercising, really exercising, for an hour on one specific day every week. I can set reminders in my phone and alarms so I don't forget. Do that for a few weeks and then bump it up to two days a week for a few weeks, etc. I was trying to do a pushup challenge-30 pushups every day for 30 days. I stuck with it for a lot longer than I figured I would. Usually, I try not to get too down on myself because in general I am feeling more motivated more often than I used to. It seems like every time I "fall off the wagon", it's for less time, and the next time I get motivated again, I stay motivated longer.

I spent 6 hours power walking around NYC with a friend a few months ago. I kept up with her with no trouble, I wasn't out of breath, and I didn't need to stop and rest. She complimented that, actually, and said that everyone else she goes with slows her down or complains. In my head, I was saying 'hey, alright, not bad for the thick girl :cool:". Those are my current victories.

Maybe I will go for a walk.

zang

it's useful when reading your writing.There are many things to motivate. My english is not well. so I don't feel believe in communication. I am going to try learning english everyday. Sometimes, I feel boring when I listen enlgish, and I don't understand it. And I used to give up. But I always advise myself...I should try to more and more... I hope i have enough motivation to learn english better...

Alph0x

Registered Member
it's useful when reading your writing.There are many things to motivate. My english is not well. so I don't feel believe in communication. I am going to try learning english everyday. Sometimes, I feel boring when I listen enlgish, and I don't understand it. And I used to give up. But I always advise myself...I should try to more and more... I hope i have enough motivation to learn english better...
English is not an easy language to learn. What do you enjoy reading or talking about? If WHAT you're reading is more interesting to you, I imagine it will be easier to stick to it.