• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Finding a Flatmate

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I am looking to find a flatmate to help me share costs. I have put up advertisements and now await replies. I am very desperate to find someone, but also I do not want to invite an "unwanted" type of person to be my flatmate.

I wish to know what are some questions I should, or you would want to ask and responses I, or you would look for or look out for in this.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I think there's 3 main things I'd want to try to find out.

1. Reliability. What do they do and how long have they done it? If they're holding down a job and have done so for a while then they're probabaly going to have the money to pay for their share of bills each month.

2. Why they don't have anyone to live with. Now this isn't something you can straight out ask but it's something you can get a vibe for. Sometimes people are looking for flat mates because none of their friends are in a place where they can move in with them etc but maybe it's because they're difficult. You'd be able to tell which after one meeting probably.

3. Common Interests? Now you may think why does that matter? Aslong as they pay rent it's no big deal. Trust me it's a big deal. Especially for those long nights in just the 2 of you. Being a big film fan I'd probabaly ask what films they like. I'm about to move in with a guy from work. We've always got on great but we don't know eachother that well. What has put my mind at ease is his massive DVD collection. He's clearly almost as much of a nerd as I am :lol:

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Is it not a good idea to consider male flatmates? I will not know anyone, and this worries me a little. But I am very desperate right now, and thinking if a male stands out to me over any females as one who will be there to pay their share which to me is most important, should I not consider this?

I did not specify in my adds, I only said I was Female student seeking flatmate.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
No males; that's my advice. I don't mean that we're evil. You just don't need the worry. And that way, you'll also be helping out some other girl who doesn't need the worry.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I wouldn't rule a guy out at all. Just make the best decision you can based on the people you meet. If a guy ticks all the boxes then go for it. I've lived with guys and girls and it was always fine.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
If a guy ticks all the boxes then go for it. I've lived with guys and girls and it was always fine.
Not to put down Alt for adding his experience to the thread, but this reads to me like something from the beginning of a gore movie: "Don't worry. There's never been a gator spotted around these parts."

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
No males; that's my advice. I don't mean that we're evil. You just don't need the worry. And that way, you'll also be helping out some other girl who doesn't need the worry.
I agree with Tucker. Plus there are more boundaries to worry about living with the opposite sex. A sleazy guy who sees the ad might think if the female searching for a flatmate is desperate enough to not even have preferences on flatmate sex, then she might get desperate enough to go out of her boundaries for other things as long as the $$ is coming. I also like the idea that choosing a female would probably be helping another girl in your situation who is currently seeking a flatmate but don't want to worry about male advances. So yeah, if you can avoid it, then do so. If not, then just be extra careful.

Also come up with terms that are non negotiable with you. If you don't like smoking at home or having your flatmate throw a party there without your consent, etc. Something like that. So your interview is also not just about knowing them more but finding out if they're amenable to your basic demands (aside from ability to meet financial obligations to pay rent).

I like what Alex said about the three main things. Someone who may be looking for a flatmate now could just be doing that because s/he had been kicked out or didn't get along with someone - and it might be same reasons why your arrangement won't work.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Not to put down Alt for adding his experience to the thread, but this reads to me like something from the beginning of a gore movie: "Don't worry. There's never been a gator spotted around these parts."
Girls are just as likely to kill you in your sleep. :lol:

As long as she interviews them I don't think she should rule out a gender. Only she'll know what she'd be comfortable with or not.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Since you're female, I don't think you should room with a guy unless you know him (and maybe not even then). The risk is much higher for you that way.

Other things to look at include criminal background check, and they should let you talk to past landlords/roommates to get an idea about them - find out if they paid rent on time, find out if they got kicked out for breaking rules, etc.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I agree, no males. Like Tucker and ysabel said, you have enough to worry about without the added potential stress of a male roommate. Too much potential for misunderstanding and awkwardness.

Good luck