• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Finders keepers looser weepers?

thealigator

Registered Member
Imagine the scene: You are walking down the street and you see a 10 pound note, 10 dollar bill etc on the floor, no-one is around and watching, what do you do? Do you slowly pick it up and put it in your pocket? And what if it were more? Say 50 dollars? I remember walking down the road and see a roll of money on the floor with an elastic band around it. I didn't realise what it was at first and went back to look at it to be certain what I had seen (how many times do you see something like that? I was a little taken aback), but when I did it had gone.

Had it not though do you think it would be ethical for me to have pocketed it? Should someone in this situation take it to the police or take the money and run? If you saw this money without a wallet is it fair gain? How do you feel, is the inner child right?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If it isn't accompanied by a wallet so there is proof of who owns it I would say keep it. Ever who lost it will learn to be more careful.

Of course if it were thousands of dollars in a bag I would worry someone was robbed and turn that in.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Imagine the scene: You are walking down the street and you see a 10 pound note, 10 dollar bill etc on the floor, no-one is around and watching, what do you do? Do you slowly pick it up and put it in your pocket? And what if it were more? Say 50 dollars? I remember walking down the road and see a roll of money on the floor with an elastic band around it. I didn't realise what it was at first and went back to look at it to be certain what I had seen (how many times do you see something like that? I was a little taken aback), but when I did it had gone.

Had it not though do you think it would be ethical for me to have pocketed it? Should someone in this situation take it to the police or take the money and run? If you saw this money without a wallet is it fair gain? How do you feel, is the inner child right?
Mods, fix this. I don't want to quote the ENTIRE message, but this fucktard thing won't let me delete any part of someone's quote nomatter how I add it to the post. Now I want to delete it and nomatter how I try to restart my post, the quote is still there... the ENTIRE... THING.

I hate "whole post quoters". In general. You're forcing me to be one.

Ok, now, in that amazingly simple scenario, I would pick it up, keep it, but hang around awhile and see if anyone comes back for it. The larger the amount it is, the more from a distance I would be. If it's a small amount, it's not so bad to go looking for the person, but not ask them if they dropped any money and don't mention the amount, just see if someone comes up with the details of what was left themselves so that you know if it was really them or not.

I say this because I want someone to do this for me. I once left a 20 in the machine that gives change at Lucky's years back and wasn't gone from the store but 3 minutes when I came back and was gone. It would have been nice if the next person in line would have just hung around a little bit and waited to see if someone came running back for something that they JUST barely missed. So with stuff like that, you hang around in obvious sight. But if it's a roll of money and it looks potentially like someone's drug money or not, keep a distance and see if anyone comes for it. How long you want to wait depends on you and what you have to do else that day and such. But in general, it's yours if it's just money and nothing else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Tabletop Games 11