• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Find out these things for me.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
All right --- This is in general discussion because I reckon a little discussion could ensue.

This is a thread all about ridiculous knowledge.

I have five questions or requests. You may answer all of them, or one, or a few. It's up to you. I know I could find the answers myself, but I like the idea of having a stream of discussion, and also it might give us all something to do. Which is lovely.

So, please address the following:

1)
The notion of a postman being attacked by a dog is quite well known. Yet, where did this come from? I can only assume that a postman was famously attacked by a dog, perhaps it came in a cartoon, or a show of some kind. Could somebody please find the origin of this ---

2)
Has somebody sued a coffee company due to being scalded by a cup of it? The cups you get note that the contents will be 'very hot' - as if you needed telling. Yet a sneaky suspicion tells me somebody has been burnt and hence this is a defence against litigation culture. Could somebody please find the details of this out?

3)
Can a dog look up? I've been pondering this all bloody day - derived from the debate in Shaun of the Dead - I'm pretty damn certain they can, yet that Winchester was a real one. -- Somebody please bring me empirical evidence.

4)
I would quite like to know the breadth of what the British Empire was, if anyone cares to inform me. Where exactly did the country I live in get to, what did it conquer/govern?

5)
Also, I was once introduced to the notion of defamation in the press, and the court battles that it has caused. If you would kindly gather information regarding some of the most glamorous examples of defamation lawsuits against the journalistic media, I would be more than happy to learn about it.

---

The information you gather must not be in the form of a link to a website. I would prefer a nice rundown of the information in your own words.

---

Also, to generally discuss -- what is the fascination with ridiculous knowledge? The sort you can win a pub quiz with, the sort that is rarely used, but impressively imparted? It seems pointless yet holds quite a lot of weight with people, as I've found myself that is. What do you reckon?

---

Also, if you want to know something without trudging around, and looking for it for yourself. Post it here. We can discuss it, and I or someone else (perhaps) will go and look for it, for you. --

Could be fun, Couldn't it?

Raos

Registered Member
1)
The notion of a postman being attacked by a dog is quite well known. Yet, where did this come from? I can only assume that a postman was famously attacked by a dog, perhaps it came in a cartoon, or a show of some kind. Could somebody please find the origin of this ---
Postmen are often attacked by dogs. There is no real mystery behind this. They go to your house almost ever day. If someone has a dog who is prone to attacking then the postman will be a likely target due to the frequency he is there.

2)
Has somebody sued a coffee company due to being scalded by a cup of it? The cups you get note that the contents will be 'very hot' - as if you needed telling. Yet a sneaky suspicion tells me somebody has been burnt and hence this is a defence against litigation culture. Could somebody please find the details of this out?
McDonalds was sued when a woman spilled a cup of their coffee on her lap and got serious burns. As ridiculous as it sounds she won the suit. I believe it had something to do with the coffee being hotter than it should have been.

Dabs

Registered Member
Postmen are often attacked by dogs. There is no real mystery behind this. They go to your house almost ever day. If someone has a dog who is prone to attacking then the postman will be a likely target due to the frequency he is there.

McDonalds was sued when a woman spilled a cup of their coffee on her lap and got serious burns. As ridiculous as it sounds she won the suit. I believe it had something to do with the coffee being hotter than it should have been.
The woman in the McDonald's incident was an elderly lady, in her 80s I believe and it scalded her between her legs, in her genitals. (yes she placed the cup there whilst driving off)
She did indeed win her lawsuit, and at the time, either there were no warnings of HOT coffee on the cups, or it was so small, no one apparently could see it.....anyway, she did sue and won.
So now McDonald's, as well as some other fast food places, have bigger warning labels on their cups and they have large stickers on their drive thru windows, warning....this shit is hot!!

lkirilov

Registered Member
1) I don't have an idea where did it came from but in my opinion it started with cartoons just to entertain the kids maybe. Then it somehow that idea was taken and put into the comedy movies. Thats how i can explain it.

3) Well if they cant see up while they are standing, they can do it while they are laying back. :nod:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
We just talked about the McDonald's coffee lawsuit in class yesterday. McDonald's served their coffee at 180 degrees F. Which is 60 degrees hotter than code for residential hot water. She suffered third-degree burns on her thighs and buttocks. She asked McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her medical costs not covered by her insurance. They offered $800, so she filed a lawsuit. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Wade8813

Registered Member
The dogs/postman thing is probably just common sense. Dogs often go crazy when a stranger comes by - thousands of mail carriers have had to go into a dog's territory on a daily basis for decades. I doubt there's any particularly famous case - dog's attack people once in a while, but it's rarely particularly newsworthy.

Jeanie beat me to the comment about the woman suing over coffee. It sounds ridiculous, but from what I've heard, it was actually their fault. The more interesting ones are things like apparently some clothes irons have warnings not to iron clothes while you're wearing them. Urban legend has it that Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz did that once, but he denies it, and others around him say it never happened. Although IIRC, I heard someone confess to doing that once.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
The dogs/postman thing is probably just common sense. Dogs often go crazy when a stranger comes by - thousands of mail carriers have had to go into a dog's territory on a daily basis for decades. I doubt there's any particularly famous case - dog's attack people once in a while, but it's rarely particularly newsworthy.

Jeanie beat me to the comment about the woman suing over coffee. It sounds ridiculous, but from what I've heard, it was actually their fault. The more interesting ones are things like apparently some clothes irons have warnings not to iron clothes while you're wearing them. Urban legend has it that Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz did that once, but he denies it, and others around him say it never happened. Although IIRC, I heard someone confess to doing that once.
You've not read the tabloids here... Ha.

Ironing whilst clothed, it sounds like an extreme sport, or the act of the extremely stupid.