Finally, Windows 98/Me Move Towards Retirement

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Drky, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Drky

Drky Guest

Microsoft has begun alerting its customers that three of its legacy Windows versions--Windows 98, Windows 98 SE (Second Editon), and Windows Millennium Edition (Me)--will be retired as of July 11, 2006. That is, these products will exit the Extended Support phase and Microsoft will cease providing any support.

"Microsoft is ending support for these products because they are outdated and these older operating systems can expose customers to security risks," a note on Microsoft's Web site reads. "We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible."

Windows 98/SE/Me represent the end of the line for Microsoft's MS-DOS-based Windows versions. Current versions of Windows, such as Windows XP and the upcoming Windows Vista are based on a different code base that began with Windows NT. Windows NT and its successors are not based on MS-DOS, an operating system with roots dating back to CP/M in the late 1970's.

For Windows 98/SE/Me customers, the time to upgrade has come. Microsoft will stop providing paid incident support and, more important, any downloadable critical security patches, on July 11, 2006. Then, a year later, the company will cease providing self-help support online. For more information, please refer to Microsoft's support notification.

Source

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Or they could use a version of Linux 8)

Not going to stop me getting an offline machine to use 98. Maybe then I can play old games without having to use DOSBox.

3. Nestor

Nestor Guest

lol compatibility mode. All my japanese ren'ai, DS, VN, and bishoujo games work just fine in compatibility mode.

I've used several distros of Linux in my time as a network administrator, and no OS is as flexible and less configuration-specific than Windows. you might enjoy hours of configuration, but as an administrator, I need a OS that is versatile, conformative, adaptive, and easy to deploy as part of not only a NOS environment but also as a standalone and workstation OS. Given a choice between Windows and Linux, I'll pay money to microsoft before i pick up a linux distro for free.

Additionally, I'm glad the 9x OS'es are finally getting retired on the corporate side. It might prompt the conformists and technophobes to update their OS platforms. FAT32 and the DOS kernel were inefficient and clunky while the new NTFS 5 (and the soon to be released WinFS, with contextual archiving) offer a far more versatile and useful solution.

4. Nevyrmoore

I was talking about DOS games....as XP doesn't have a version of DOS, I'm screwed unless I either use 9x or DOSBox

5. Nestor

Nestor Guest

Exactly. Windows compatibility mode takes a little bit of your resources and creates a virtual DOS drive. Thus allowing you to run programs designed for Windows 95/98.

6. Nevyrmoore

In theory...in practice however, it doesn't always work. And when it does, it sometimes doesn't work properly. For example, lets take The Feeble Files. It's a game designed to run in 95 and 98. I think it works in 2000, but in XP, the game will not run at all, even if you put compatibility mode on. Unfortunatly, this doesn't work in DOSBox either, as it isn't a DOS game...

So to include the use of DOSBox, lets take The Clue. This does work in XP. However, it runs without sound, and the intro does not work. Now I don't particularly want to play a soundless game, so I have to use DOSBox.

Another example, Flashback. It works.....if you don't mind a game that not only has a low frame rate, but also runs without sound. Once again, I'm forced to use DOSBox, not only because of the lack of sound, but because it's tedious playing a game that runs slower than it was meant to.

Constructor - this doesn't even run at all. You load up the game.exe file, it opens a command console window, it minimises, the screen goes black....then the game chucks you back into XP.

So the overall choice is to either use DOSBox, or get a gaming rig made for 9x games which has either 95, 98, or maybe 2000 on it.

7. Drky

Drky Guest

Well with Microsoft going full force with its Vista project (take some time to check it out, seems very interesting) they have the need to eliminate support for lower end (legacy) OS -- they ultimately want to move everyone to their company's new philosophy in software building.

I will also be setting up my 98 machine again just for those games I heavily invested in back in the days, lol.

8. Protostar

Protostar Guest

Nestor, I have a question about your Linux experiences: What distros did you use and how long ago did you use them?