Movies Final Fantasy VII: Advent children

A

acidmix

I've played the game several times and seen the end once and I thought the movie was great even if they only showed aeris for like 10 seconds. It was good to see all the characters again.

A

A.M. Radio

The Mercenary said:
Wait, so you're doubting the film because your favorite characters do not have sufficient parts? That's a bit ignorant. Also, Cloud is the main character, thus we get the most character development of him. Besides, FFVII was roughly 45 hours long if played through to the end and did a few sidequests along the way and trained enough to stay on top of things. The movie is 1 hour and a half. You realize that the movie would have to be like 4 hours at least to come close to a scale of how much went on in the game.
No, I'm not doubting it. I'm disliking it. We don't get much character development from Cloud. We knew who he was. We didn't learn anything more. He didn't evolve. Things that happen to a character do not equal character development. Cloud did not become any better or worse of a human being in the story. He did not change.

And yes, you can put in all characters for a fair measure withing a two hour time frame. The movie "Nashville" had around 30 main characters, and fully explored everyone of them, and was under three hours. I'm not being ignorant, I'm just stating a point.

You can't just excuse a flawed movie by saying "They couldn't do it on the scale...." Yes, the could have. It would have had to have been a different story, but that's what we need anyway. Cloud will still be the main character, and get more time then say, Yuffie. But Yuffie will still have something to do. See what I'm saying? Samething with Barret, Cid, and everyone else who just appeared so they can say they have the entire cast, which wasn't as massive as you seem to think.

I'm writing a ninety minute screenplay with 10 major characters. Obviously, some characters get more screen time then others. But the others still play an important part. Showing up and fighting a summon gone mad is NOT an important part. Neither is making comments while watching a battle that lasts about thirty minutes.

Advent Children is a 90 minute movie with almost forty five minutes of fight scenes. That's where you put the character drama. Cut the "action" to a minimal because most people get into RPGs for the story anyway.

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
You were expecting a new story? That was never the point. It was a chance to catch up with all of the characters again and find out what they were doing after the end of the game. Nothing really new but that isn't a bad thing.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Kos4Evr said:
You were expecting a new story? That was never the point. It was a chance to catch up with all of the characters again and find out what they were doing after the end of the game. Nothing really new but that isn't a bad thing.
Some people just expect too much.

A

A.M. Radio

Kos4Evr said:
Oh, pardon me for expecting story in my movies. I should just be happy with pretty pictures and long drawn out fight scenes.

As far as catching up with the characters is concerned, well, I like open endings. Not too open, I want a conclusion, but I also like enough to contemplate. Like the ending the game provided me with.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
A.M. Radio said:
Oh, pardon me for expecting story in my movies. I should just be happy with pretty pictures and long drawn out fight scenes.

As far as catching up with the characters is concerned, well, I like open endings. Not too open, I want a conclusion, but I also like enough to contemplate. Like the ending the game provided me with.
That's fine, you just didn't see the story in the movie. It had a decent (not great) plot line that's pretty clear to see.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Well my favorite character is Vincent and he ain't in it much I ain't complaining lol. But that ain't why I'm going to see the movie I'm seeing cause I'm a fan of Final Fantasy 7.

L

Laharl ex

I saw it days before it came out in Japan on a friends PSP. I have no idea what they were saying, but it sure was pretty. Doesn't help that I haven't played much of any of the Final Fantasy games.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Laharl ex said:
I saw it days before it came out in Japan on a friends PSP. I have no idea what they were saying, but it sure was pretty. Doesn't help that I haven't played much of any of the Final Fantasy games.
Well if you haven't played FFVII, then you'll be lost. I don't suggest watching it unless you've played the game.