• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Final Fantasy franchise

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I won't pretend I know a lot about this franchise, but I keep hearing how great it is. Some games are better than others, but you'll always get that with different video game franchises.

Just curious, what are your likes and dislikes of the Final Fantasy franchise?

BigBob

Registered Member
The biggest thing that is wrong with the franchise is the fact that they are continuing to milk it out. After Final Fantasy X, I wouldn't even think about buying another Final Fantasy.

Most people will tell you, VII was the best one. They like the characters a lot more then all of the others.

To me, if I had to rank the Final Fantasy's, VII would probably be 4th on my list. It's too repetitive.

The best characters, and the best stories, came from IX and X.

If you're going to get into the games, purchase Final Fantasy IX and X. X has the better graphics, so if that's something that plays a factor into games with you, go with it (it was PS2, IX was PS1).

Konshentz

Konshentz
What I like: Final Fantasy VII

What I dislike: Everything else.

I'm not a big fan of the series. Was VII a great game? Nah, not really. But I had fun playing it.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I've played most of them - Final Fantasy 1 - 9 were all great, each for different reasons.
FFI - Good mostly because it accidentally established an entire genre.
FFII and III - Very similar to I, but with more story/character elements. Don't know if I've played them...
FFIV - The first real story/character one. A lot of people really like it, but I found it a little short on actual gameplay.
FFV - The opposite of IV; story/character weren't the best, but probably the best RPG gameplay available throughout the main series! I couldn't put it down.
FFVI - Very similar to VII/VIII/IX, but in 2D. Great game.
FFVII/VIII/IX - Probably my favourite games from my younger days. I liked them all equally, and I still play them on my PSP.
FFX - It was a big deal when I was younger, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much now.
FFX2 - Huh?
FFXII - Only played it a little bit. Seemed alright.
FFXIII - Wha??
FFXIII2 - Huh!??!

Anything with "Final Fantasy" and "Tactics" on the same line was amazing.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I didn't grow up playing FF like a lot of other people, so I found it really hard to get into this. The only one I ever even tried to play was FF13 on the PS3. I didn't love it but I've been told it's one of the worst. I like the movies though.

BigBob

Registered Member
Anything with "Final Fantasy" and "Tactics" on the same line was amazing.
I do know a good bit of people that say Final Fantasy Tactics (and specifcally Tactics 2) are the best Final Fantasy games that they've played.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I do know a good bit of people that say Final Fantasy Tactics (and specifcally Tactics 2) are the best Final Fantasy games that they've played.
That would be the FFTactics they made for DS - I sunk way more time into that one than I'd honestly like to admit... The original Tactics was actually better in my opinion, but much, much, much harder.