Movies Films that you connect with, but are hard to watch.

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Daemonic, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

Any films that are difficult for you to watch but you also in some way enjoy because you connect with them. Not sure if anyone saw this but the reason I'm thinking of this topic is because i just watched a movie called The Vicious Kind. I had it in my "want to watch" in netflix for a while but wanted to wait until a night of drinking. I gotta say, not sure if I could have finished it sober but in some way have to like it because I connect with it. Main difference being I found out........

So what movies do you relate to but find hard to watch, and why?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010

2. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

"The Color Purple" was a hard movie for me to watch because of the way the women were treated--but what a wonderful movie! Not a little in part because of the portrayals of Whoopie Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey. What a great movie. What a heartbreaking reminder of what life was like for african-american women at that time. And how uplifting to see the gradually emerging self-respect of each one, and how they coped with life in general.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

What do mean by "hard to watch" - like it's wrenches your soul or like when you literally need more energy/time for you to go through the movie?

4. Double-R

Double-R Registered Member

One movie that fits under this category for me would be Powder.

Being a person with albinism, its hard enough to deal with people that supposedly are your peers that look at you as if you have two heads but, when movies like that come out and add to the stereotypes and misconceptions that are associated with persons who have albinism, it makes it all the more harder.

I mean come on, jeremy (or however-the-hell-it's spelled) was a person of extremely fair skin and apparently, was the only person that looked that way in his whole neighborhood. Now, its not to say that I can't connect with this movie because, I do see what the moral of the story is, and I do see what points are attempted to be driven across but, when it comes to the scenes where he's taunted and teased and how the whole "Powder" thing came about, then having to deal with being called that through elementary and middle school, its hard to watch. it kinda brings those memories back with the good parts of the movie.

Maybe I'm reading way too deep into it but, eh...*shrugs*

5. HalfEatenSurprise

HalfEatenSurprise Registered Member

Requiem for a Dream -

I'm not, or have I ever been, a junkie. Yet, I know some who are, or have been. However, this isn't the base connection I found with this remarkable film. I felt that some of it really reflected my own ideologies in life, at the time of watching. I mean, I have been known to cling to the odd pipedream, thankfully I am awake now. Yet, at the time it certainly left an impression.
    It was hard to watch, considering that the characters are more or less torn to pieces in a way that seems not only inevitible, but almost ceremonious. A very saddening film.

6. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

That is what I meant by hard to watch.

Another one for me is the virgin suicides. Not sure why, because the storyline is so believable and sad. It just puts me in a very sad mood but I still do like it.

Oh but worst of all I cannot even watch any movie heavily gang related. It gives me some nasty flashbacks and makes me a mess having been a victim of constant gang violence for a few weeks....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Then it will Bridges of Madison County. Each time I watch it, I'm so much in pain for Meryl Streep. But maybe I'm a masochist, haha. I bought its DVD and have watched it maybe thrice since it came out - and at each time I know I will feel depressed and hurting. I guess part of it is that I can relate to her difficulty of making choices that have lifelong repercussions and it makes me wonder if like her, I'd have a lifetime to dwell on the decisions I make now.

8. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

Curse that Meryl Streep's awesome acting!

The movie that she did that I found wrenching was "Sophie's Choice"--Just heartbreaking.

9. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to agree with you here. It's not often that a movie makes me emotional, but this one did. I don't know what it was about it, but I could not tear myself away from this movie, even though it was so hard to watch.