• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Film Review: Scream (1996)

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Scream is and always be for me one of the most landmark movies in the Horror genre, others may say that films like Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street & Friday the 13th were some of the best and they may well be but Scream achieved something those films didn't.

When scream came out the Horror movie genre was not only stagnant but it was basically a joke, some many sequels had come out from the three mentioned that it was not unreasonable to assume the horror genre was dead. It was the same thing, the same scripts, the same stories and blah blah blah, who really cared? Scream thanks to the writing of Kevin Williamson and direction of Wes Craven very much like Nirvana in the 90's came in and shook things up, they changed the rules on the horror and slasher genre, they didn't bend them, they smashed, so much so WE knew the rules of the horror film and they were rules we may not have known but as soon as we heard them we thought "YES! THAT IS SO RIGHT!".

Scream came about from Craven writing what was meant to be the last incarnation of Freddy in Wes Cravens New Nightmare, it was Wes trying on the shoes of taking the genre in another self referential self aware way that made the audience think we have seen it all, we know it all and it was going to take something big to do that.

Scream made people sit up and take notice, the first fifteen minutes where all you see is Drew Barrymore talking to an anonymous killer asking her questions could sound very dull, who cares? But they way it is scripted and acted is just perfect and to this day is still seen as a defining way of how we see these movies. I will not go any further because if you haven't seen it it will ruin it for you but do see it if you have any interest.

For me it is a perfect film and I have no problem giving it ten out of ten.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I agree. An incredible horror movie. There hasn't been a better slasher film since (although I liked Scream 2 a little more). I'm not sure I could give it a 10/10, but it's definitely in the 9's.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I agree, this movie is great. I even picked it as Halloween movie last year to watch at home. I also liked the reference to the rules and the way they also used the rules to a horror movie. It's true and it sells.