• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Film Review: American Beauty

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Film Title: American Beauty

Cast:

Kevin Spacey
Annette Bening
Thora Birch
Wes Bentley
Mena Suvari
Chris Cooper

Plot:

Lester Burnham, a depressed suburban father in a mid-life crisis, decides to turn his hectic life around after developing an infatuation for his daughter's attractive friend.
It would be easy to say that there is no surprise to the film if all you heard was from someone else that in the first minute of the film Kevin Spacey is dead, he may not be on screen but by the end of it he will be no more. But to dismiss this would be missing the point entirely, this film was almost made for the phrase "its about the journey, not the destination" and the way everything is laid out is wonderful.

The film could have been bad, if the film had all been about the Spacey character and his downfall into a depressive life and as interesting as that may have been that would be missing the point. The reason this film works is we see why he takes this midlife crisis. MC's are often looked down upon but looking at the way his life is in every respect you can empathize with why he is the way he is in the film.

The films is not limited to his character though but all of the cast do basically work around him in one way or the other, Jane his daughter hates the fact that he seems to fantasize over her friends, Angela loves to be the forbidden fruit to Lester, Ricky seems to be only real friend he has and his wife Carolyn just cannot abide him full stop.

It would be very easy to continue and to talk more about the story but I won't, it is one of those films that if you have never seen it before it is a joy to watch it all unfold, if you have seen it before despite knowing the ending I still think it is a film you can enjoy many times over.

My score: 8/10

Impact

V.I.P.
I agree with your rating for this, I'd give it an 8/10. Possibly a 9.

It was a while before I got around to watching this movie, but it has a firm place as one of my favourite movies of all time. Definitely top 10-15. And it has rewatchability as well which makes it even better.